General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP! Low idle, knocking noise only in D or R

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:26 AM
Default HELP! Low idle, knocking noise only in D or R

hi i have a 1995 honda civic dx with a d16zc sohc no vtec motor. auto tranny.

my car makes a knocking noise when in drive or reverse at idle. once i hit the gas at all it goes away completely and drives perfectly fine. when in park or neutral it goes away instantly. does it when the engine is cold and warm. i dont have a low idle.

things ive replaced/done since first experiencing the knocking; throttle body gasket, re calibrated TPS , spark plugs, distributor cap, retarded timing, oil change , adjusted idle ( used to be low), replaced some heater hoses and heater valve , fuel filter,

i dont think its a exhaust leak because that will be louder when i gas.. ive read plenty of threads on rod knock..they say that will increase apon accelerating but my knocking noise goes away when i hit the gas..ive read that valve ticking will be louder on acceleration also.

since ive had this weird knocking problem..my car seems to have a harder time starting up. like its struggling for a second..after about 2 seconds it starts up fine..

any ideas??

Old 06-25-2013, 09:56 AM

Hard to pin point ur problem from just reading but i would block all 4 tires put ur emergeny brake on start it up have sum1 get in the car,sum 1 you trust?and have them put it in drive holding break pedal down then you need to inspect where the noise is coming from?
In this manner you can narrow down to where or kno exactly where the noise is coming from?
Good luck

Old 06-26-2013, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. check your flex plate for cracks.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Hermean93
Hard to pin point ur problem from just reading but i would block all 4 tires put ur emergeny brake on start it up have sum1 get in the car,sum 1 you trust?and have them put it in drive holding break pedal down then you need to inspect where the noise is coming from?
In this manner you can narrow down to where or kno exactly where the noise is coming from?
Good luck
the noise is coming from the torque converter/ flywheel area for sure. it grinds when im starting the car. when i pulled starter to look at torque converter. i seen smudges on some of the teeth of the torque converter. now when i drive the car i hear grinding even after starting the car. when i inspected the flexplate and rotated the crank pulley...i hear a small clunking sound as if something is lose. the flexplate its self is not damaged or loose.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the forum. check your flex plate for cracks.
thank you. ive checked the flex plate while rotating crank. bolts are tight. no cracks. looks good. but i did notice some wear on the torque converter by the starter. and when i rotate the flexplate/torque converter i hear a weird sound like something is loose and striking something

Old 06-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Default 2nd reply

Hey i think its ur starter from what iv read u wrote to me it sounds like ur starter is ingauging and not retrackting?
Pull the starter and check the teeth but when u pull the starter pay attention to how the starter comes out when u pull it out?it shuld come out with lilttle effort or drop out when u unscrew the last bolt?then go have the starter checked