General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help with one or two things, Shuttle.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Default Help with one or two things, Shuttle.

Hi again, if you read my intro, otherwise, Hi anyway.
The car....A Honda Shuttle, N reg, 1994/5 2.2i ES Automatic. 105,000 miles on the clock, all MOT's and a fair amount of invoices.
Now for the problems.
1. O/S/R window lifter. Can they be fixed? Where can I get a good working one, and at what cost?
2. The ATF is very dark in colour, I plan to drain and refill 2 or 3 times. Question. is the a filter, and where is it? how do I drain the box? Can the torque converter be drained?
3. Timing belt, how often should it be changed, and how big a job is it to do?

That's about it for now, hope you can help. OH, one other thing, any advice on these cars, things to look out for, problems etc.

TIA

Andy & Sharon.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Help with one or two things, Shuttle.

1. if you are talking about the electric motor type, you can work on it, or it may be the gears. go to ebayor to hondaautoparts.com to get est cost.
2. filter is in the flat pan. remove the screws, the pan, and the filter should be there held in by 1 or 2 screws. black or metal.I have not seen a honda converter with a drain plug. will have to change fluid, run a bit, then change again. I changed my fluid and filtereach 20k to keep the fluid clean and not burnt. ( 90 accord)
3. timing belt, water pump and seal, crank seal, cam seal change each 90k or 72 mos.( Honda Recommended)medium to heavy job. Have a service manual if you plan to do much work on your own.
Not much negative items on the car, fading paint due to gloss cover peeling off.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:25 AM

Thanks acmech52 for the quick response. I have fixed the window lifter, 3 of the 4 retaining bolts were out, was only held in with one, so fix them in place and all working.

2. filter is in the flat pan. remove the screws, the pan, and the filter should be there held in by 1 or 2 screws. black or metal.I have not seen a honda converter with a drain plug. will have to change fluid, run a bit, then change again. I changed my fluid and filtereach 20k to keep the fluid clean and not burnt. ( 90 accord)
Flat pan, is this on the bottom of the box, side or top? Just looked and cannot see anything that looks like a pan!

Once again, thanks for you input.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

if you are looking up from the bottom of the transmission, this is the flat pan. its got about 20 bolts to secure the pan on. almost square. this is where you will find the bottom of the transmission dip stick.on either side you will see the half shafts ( cv boots )
Keep asking if you are in doubt, sometimes it is difficult to explain by email.
I'm glad you fixed the window.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:11 PM

I'll take a photo of the underneath of the box in the morning and post here. What you discribe does not fit what I see. Thanks for your help, I'll also find the box number.

I'm off to bed. good night

Old 01-21-2009, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

S T O P I am in error, apology for not thinking this out. Your Honda Shuttle as you call it, I beleive is an Odyssey in the US, I was thinking it was a Honda Accord Wagon. If you have the 1st generation Odyssey there is no pan, only a drain plug on the bottom back of the transmission. Drain and replace the aluminum gasket. then refill the trans with Honda's fluid. Need to do this a couple of times due to the converter cannot be drained. takes about 3.1 qts of fluid. warm up the car until the fan turns on or after a drive to do errands.
Again my apology for not asking the size/type of the vehicle.