Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troubleshooting a Couple Things

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Default Troubleshooting a Couple Things

Hi, I'm new to the site, this is the first problem I've had with my 2000 Honda Accord EX 2.3 VTEC. Hopefully I can get some good advice on here.

Ok, so first off, I'm cruising down the road, I get a smell in the car, I noticea change if engine temp (just above half way instead of just below), and my A/C goes out. I'm close to home so I only drove it another 3 min max, and it turns out my cooling fan(drivers side), ate up two rows of my radiator ribbon stuff. The smell was the motor for the fan burning up and overheating/melting the fan.

So, I bought a new fan assembly, installed it, and I'm at a crossroads. I havn't seen the fan come on, I don't know if this means the wire coming from the other fan is fried as well or it only comes on at certain temperatures like when I'm in the car driving it and can't see it. I have opened the hood after I reach my dest. and it's not on.

Also, when I turn the air on, the other fan(pass side)comes on fine, but I get no cold air, and if I drive the car for few minutes or so, when I sit in neutral, the engine revs in low RPM range(900-1500) for a little bit, then calms down. Mind you, the temp guage shows normal tempurature and itdoesn't show any signs of overheating.

Could the burning up of the fan motor have fried the wiring?
Did I just happen to run out of freon at the exact same time my fan/radiator accident happened?

Old 06-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Troubleshooting a Couple Things

welcome to the forum huffman150: enjoy your stay. your fan for the hot water temp works when turning on the a/c, so the hot water temp thermostate is not allowing the power to the fan to turn it on. ( when the water temp gets about 200-210, the thermostate allows power to turn on the fan.
On your a/c, check the freon pressure, probably low.Your car using 134 you can go to a parts house and get a pressure guage with a servicing unit and charge the system. in 8 years, the leak is small, you may want to check for any oily residue along the a/c lines and it might be a loose "b" nut. attach point. Also check all your fuses to besure they are all good.
We'll see how the idle is after you fix the thermostate and a/c freon.