General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda Accord Problems with Lights/blinker

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Default Honda Accord Problems with Lights/blinker

Hello,
The one thing my wife asked for this christmas was a remote start, which the dealership wanted $400 to install, when the unit costs less than 100. Needless to say, I have put in several of these, including one in my own vehicle and a helped a few others do the same. Anyways, after installing the remote start kit in a 2009 Honda Accord, I think I must have shorted a wire somewhere or something.

So here's what the car is doing. The right turn signal does not work, but the left and caution flashers work. The bright lights do not work. When you turn on the lights, you only get dim; but when you pull the switch towards you, the brights turn on. Also, if the lights are turned OFF, but you push the switch forward (which usually activates the bright lights when the lights are ON) the dim lights turn on.

I have a feeling if/when I crossed the wrong two wires, I must have blown either a fuse or a relay switch, but don't know which one. I've pulled fuses upon fuses from the drivers, passenger, and under the hood. All of these appear fine, so I'm thinking it's a relay switch somewhere, probably under the driver's side.

Anyone have and suggestions as to what I have done? I'd greatly appreciate not having to take it to the dealership.

By the way, the remote start works great.

Thanks Again,
Jamie

Old 01-06-2012, 07:01 PM

DOH! I feel like an idiot, but I finally figured it out this afternoon after speaking to a a service tech at honda service center in a nearby town. He stated that, from what I was describing, it was most likely one of two things. One being a broken/cut wire or the blinker switch assy. So with this in mind, I physically removed the blinker assy and low and behold, when I plugged the wiring harness back in I has somehow managed to bend two of the prongs down.

Needless to say, I bent them back to their proper positions and tried again. Everything seems to be working great now.

Thanks to anyone who looked at this thread, and I hope it helps someone in the future.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:55 AM

Glad you fixed it Jamie.