General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

IACV - Idle Air Control Valve - Idle Surge / Rev

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 10:45 AM
Default IACV - Idle Air Control Valve - Idle Surge / Rev

Hello all,

So I own a 2001 Honda Accord LX Coupe, v6. The battery went dead and the vehicle sat for a year before I replaced the battery. Upon replacement and firing the idle surged from 1k to 2.5k up and down while in neutral. Well, hind site being 20/20, I would have done my own research prior to spending $350 to have a mechanic swap the intake (supposedly), clean the original intake and then tell me that the car needed a new ecu.

After wasting that money I went to an import shop and they said the ecu's do not go bad. Start with the IAC first and see if that resolves the issue.

So here is where I'm at;

I removed the air intake, throttle body, intake manifold and cleaned everything. Replaced the old IAC with a new ome from O'Reilly and the surge / rev problem is resolved. However, the check engine light kicked on. I went and had the code checked and it's kicking the IAC code, 9050 I think it was?

Anyway, I realize there may be a leak in the system somewhere. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

I've gotten a temp tag so I have until June 20th to get this thing past emissions testing and tag the car. I'm fixing her up to give to a highschool boy who needs a car right now.

Should I start replacing all hoses? Have the coolant system flushed?

I'm pretty certain the IAC is just plug and play without calibration requirements. A friend told me there was some screw underneath that needs to be adjusted but checking the old part, I don't see any screw underneath to adjust.

All help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Brent