General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lights won't stop flashing???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Question Lights won't stop flashing???

So the most interesting/odd thing started happening... As I was sitting down in my 2006 Honda Fit, I bumped the Lock button on my key (the door was open). Shortly after, an odd assortment of interior and exterior lights started blinking randomly - whether the car is off or on. Here's what I'm noticing:

WHAT BLINKS?
- the little amber lights above the headlights, as well as the corresponding green indicator lights on the dashboard. Unless the headlights are turned on, in which case these little ambers stay lit as well
- all lighting for the dashboard, unless the headlights are on or the ignition is on, in which case the dash stays lit.
- all backlighting for the radio and heater/air cluster. The LED for the radio will stay lit if the headlights are on or the ignition is on, but the button backlights will continue to flash.
- all the rear-red taillights (running lights and brake lights, but not the center brake light bar). Brake lights will stay lit if brakes are depressed.
- If the door is open, a single bell tone, very sharp, rings once per second. It is unlike the tones that ring when you accidentally leave the headlights on or leave the keys in the ignition. It may be the same as the tone you get when you drive without a seatbelt. I need to test that.

HOW DO THEY BLINK?
- they blink for precisely 30 on-off intervals
- each interval lasts 1 second (half-second on, half-second off)
- so the whole series lasts 30 seconds. Then everything goes back to normal.
- Everything blinks in unison - the radio, the gauges, the headlights, the taillights.
- In rhythm with the blinking, there is a loud clicking sound coming from within the dash - louder than the turn indicator or emergency light relays.
- They do not blink synchronously with the turn signals or the emergency blinkers. Those have a different interval.
- Once they start, nothing seems to stop them from blinking the full 30 seconds. For example, I can take the keys out and exit the car, and all the lights will still be blinking until the 30 seconds is up.

WHAT TRIGGERS THE BLINKING?
- Depressing the brakes (if brakes stay depressed for the whole 30 second cycle, it will go away for 2 beats then start again)
- Opening the door (if the door stays open for the whole 30 second cycle, the cycle will stop for 2 beats then start again).
- Locking the door
- Unlocking the door
- Removing keys from the ignition

WHAT DOES *NOT* TRIGGER THE BLINKING?
- Windshield wipers
- Turn signals
- Emergency blinkers
- Turning on headlights (though it affects behavior if subsequently triggered, see above)
- Toying with the radio or heater/air-conditioning

As far as I can tell, once the 30 seconds of flashing runs its course, it stops for good until re-triggered. At least I hope so. I want the battery to be fresh in the morning.

I've disconnected and reconnected the battery but that didn't fix it. I don't have any custom electronics/lighting. Someone mentioned to me that the 30-second cycle is the same duration as a typical security alarm - so maybe this is related to the security system?

Old 03-23-2014, 05:05 PM

Try holding the lock and unlock button down at the same time for about 5 seconds.