General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

multiple missfires

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 07:54 AM
Default multiple missfires

i have posted this question around and no one seems to have a good answer
a few weeks ago my girls 04 odyssey 3.4 auto needed gas and she filled the tank. a normal thing to do. then the next day while driving home from work she called ans said the cr was acting like it was going to stop running and pulled off the road . i got there and the car started and i drove it home, it ran like **** misfired at any speed any power requirements etc. i told her she got bad gas and had to drive it out. so she drove it and got since then 4 tanks. in the mean time. i have had dozens of suggestions from traction control to air conditioning and low tires. the codes are p0300 and p 0301-2-3-4-5-6- now i just don't believe all the coils went bad but if she got bad gas the injector may have got plugged or maybe damaged. since then the car has ran better and i did the egr system cleaning as most said that was it. well it was not it. however saturday i removed the fuel pump and found the pump filter was full of black gas i have pictures of 3" of gas in a bucket with the pump filter inside after 3 fills and drains so you can see if you agree that she got bad gas. my question now is how do you clean that filter? or is my next step outside of a 200.00 pump to poke a large hole in this and put an inline filter on the car? and if so where might a good location be for easy exchange as i believe i will be changing this out a few time this year again as it gets plugged from junk from the pump.

here are 2 pictures of the filter from the pump to show what dirty gas was still in it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xq...Thue4VX2eUnt6w

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ja...Sag8YuXKjsHc2g

also just to calm her down some of her friends tried to tell her it was bad coils, yea maybe 1 or 2 but not all 6 at the same time. but i got her 6 new coils coming this week. can't test the pressure as i find no valve to connect to. and yes i checked all wires and hoses for vacuum leaks all is good.

main question is where is a good spot to place a fuel filter for easy change out? thanks

Old 06-02-2016, 07:45 AM

Welcome in,my guess would be the filter sock on the fuel pump,and I believe you can buy a new sock for that pump,I know you can for the 02.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:08 AM

installed 6 new coils and still had misfires on 1 and 4 i reset them and told her to drive it until the cel returned and then see if it is 1 and 4 again or different. the sock can be got but that was basically clean i swished it around in the clean gas and it stayed clean but i couldn't find the actual filet unit so i had to get a low miles pump. being that it is not a bad job to replace if the used pump fails i will put her original motor back in. what i'm after is the filter but the pump had like 8ok on the crashed car. will keep this updated. until it is resolved.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:38 AM

Please do,it helps other members too.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:52 PM

ok now i have been checking the codes when the cel stays on and i get cylinder 1 and 4 all the time and sometimes 3 i looked up the firing order and if it is correct from left to right facing the engine front row is 123 back is 456 so the left cylinders are the first to show a misfire. it does this under power from a stop mstly and clears up when cruising. i did change out the coils to see if that corrected the issue no luck. i believe if i was not resetting the cel i would have them all under a code. so any ideas yet. i have not found a pump yet and the girl can't afford a new one when the pump is actually pumping. just the filter. i think next weekend i will get a inline filter and take the pump put and snag as much of the old filter out of the body i can get and then just use an inline filter from now on. easier to change. it still may be something else but i have to do this ne thing at a time.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the update Bob.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:51 PM

ok this is what i did today and the new issue i got. i regapped the valves. they all seemed to tight i had to loosen all the tappits at least 1 complete turn to get the .022 and .030 gages in there. then i changed out the timing belt. it started and then i got these codes p0341 and p0366 they are both for bank 1 cam sensor seems it should be different sensors but i have pictures of the timeing marks. it looks like the front bank is off but if i was to go back ccw 1 tooth it would be about the same distance but on the left side and not the right. so any ideas?

when i set up the timeing i got the crank single mark just after the multiple marks aligned with that plastic arrow and the cams aligned with the plastic marks in the windows. then after i got all the covers off and i looked and seen the key was pointing up aligned with a mark on the engine and a dot on the cog aligned with the same cog that went back to that mark on the engine. so i goofed somewhere and i think i have to start over tomorrow, but before i do maybe someone can tell me where i messed up. i did not rotate the crank until i had the belt on and the tensioner pin pulled out to give the belt the tension. then i rotated it cw. maybe i needed to rotate it ccw to get the front belt on the cog? some cars yes but i have not found much on time belts online. thanks

this is the crank best i can get.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hF...0-51wT49vHEnIA

this is the front bank

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g4...uSRyzLDnD3fP0w

this is the back bank

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s_...8EnrzcFqq15gvA

Old 06-25-2016, 04:30 PM

ok today i did the valves one more time this is not rocket sience here. they were fine after i did them last week. i'm leaning towards an injector being she got some bad gas. everyone seems to think otherwise here with egr valves fuel pump etc. but today i got the missfire at 1400 rpms and at 2000 it was gone. so i think #1 injector is the faulty item. seems they do not set codes. so has anyone taken one out and cleaned it successfully? or are they non serviceable items and don't actually set any codes when they go bad?

Old 06-26-2016, 12:49 PM

ok today i removed the injectors and did a redneck flush on them from youtube videos. the ohm's are all even so i don't thenk one is weak. after i put them back it still did the samething. cylinder one. and i put the injector from #1 in #5 spot just to see if it was that injector. it still stumbles at 1400 rpm and runs smoothe at 1500 and up so it may be a valve that is causeing this and i don't have the time nor ambition to trear down the engine for a valve check. being it runs outside of that range ok she will just have to deal with it. thanks for tha help. maybe i will find it maybe not i'm not going to do much more in trying to fine it. but if i happen to come accross i fix then i may do more. being it has 142k on it and it is an o4 it is getting old and mroe than likely somthing else major may happen and we will just junk it out.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:47 PM

You have more patience than I do my friend,I would have taken a hammer to it by now,lol.

Quick Reply: multiple missfires