General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

RPMs shoot down, car sounds like it going to turnoff. PLEASE HELP! LONG ongoing prob

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Default RPMs shoot down, car sounds like it going to turnoff. PLEASE HELP! LONG ongoing prob

I have a 1995 accord lx, auto. I will start by giving some detail on the problem, back in early december my tranny was acting up, I had to get it inspected so I just told them to check it out, they found nothing wrong and said it drove fine. The next day my tranny went on me after only driving for about 20min. I had it worked on that week, it wasnt "finished" till about 3wks later. Since they told me it was finished it has been having a new problem everytime, or a re-occuring one (all within about 2-3 days after getting it back from them) Everytime I took it back there and they were done working on it, something else would happen. ( I had no problems with this car in the 2yrs I had it prior to taking it there for my tranny)

The problem I am having now (same as one I had before) is as I am driving my rpms will shoot down some at random times and it will sould like the car is goin to shut off. Before when it did this is would shut off so I had to just drive it home so it wouldnt get stuck.
I have told the garage about this and they told me they have no idea what it could be after they checked several things in the past. I am out of ideas, and already have put 1000$ down for my tranny, now I have another problem.

If anyone could let me know if they think this could be related to them doing my tranny (I dont see how it wouldnt be) or if anyone has ANY ideas of what to check that would be great. Thanks.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:41 PM

Welcome to the forum,This dosen't sound like a Trans problem to me,Have the codes pulled to see what is stored first,How long has been since the fuel filter has been changed? Next have the fuel pressure checked at the fuel rail,this may be a fuel pump problem.Check these items first and let us know.Good luck,Bobby

Old 03-14-2011, 10:54 AM

Thanks, I didn't even think about it being the fuel filter yet, and that hasnt been changed in the 2yrs I have owned the car. So far the battery was changed, the alternator was checked (thats only alil over a yr old) and the wires going from the alternator were checked. Also the Ignition module and coils were checked.
This has been a very long ongoing problem, and I'm tired of having people be my taxi haha..
Any other ideas would be great, thanks.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:56 AM

Also, does this sound like it could be a problem caused from my tranny being rebuilt? The reason i ask is I had no problems prior to my tranny, they worked on it and now I have a mess of problems..