General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Odd Battery Issue (2003 Civic)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Default Odd Battery Issue (2003 Civic)

Not sure if this is the place to post, but I'm curious what the diagnosis of this unique circumstance might be... (Car is a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. Hybrid battery in great shape). Any help is appreciated!

A month ago I had to remove the car battery (not hybrid battery) to change a headlight. Since then I have had odd issues with starting. In the first week the car wasn’t turning over and I had to jump it.

Two weeks ago I went to get gas. After filling up, I got back in the car, twisted the key and nothing - not dash lights, no clicking, no start. Unsure of what to do, I got out of the car and looked around, then got back in. Tried again and tah-dah - twist the key and it started right up.

Last week the same thing happened when I got gas - after filling up, I got back into the car and twisted the key and nothing - so I got out of the car, closed the door, then got back in. Twist the key and it started right up.

Today, the same issue happened but in my driveway. Went to leave for work, twisted the key and nothing - not dash lights, no clicking, no start. I got out of the car, closed the door, then got back in. However it still wouldn’t start or even attempt to turn over, and still no dash lights.

Thinking through what I had done before, I opened the fuel door, got out of the car and undid the gas screw like I was going to pump gas, then put it back on and closed the fuel door. Got in the car and it started right up no problem.

**Each time this sequence happens, the radio is off and all my presets are erased. Making me think the battery is losing connection somehow?

Thanks for any guesses about what is going on! Really at a loss of how to troubleshoot this. How would pumping gas/the fuel door effect the battery of the car?

Old 02-17-2017, 11:27 AM

Have you checked you battery connection? Perhaps it is not connected all the way. Also make sure that your terminals are clean as that can also cause problems with your connection.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:40 PM

That would be my guess,battery connections or corrosion.