General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power Steering Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Default Power Steering Help Please!

While I was changing the timing belt, water pump, etc. on my 2003 Odyssey, I broke the wires from the power steering pressure switch located on the high pressure side close to the frame. When I first started the car, I notices a whirring sound from the power steering pump, the van was revving between 1000 and 1500 rpm and I turned it off. I have repaired the switch (tried to replace it but can't get it loose. I also identified a leak near the power steering reservoir and replaced it and the 2 hoses that are connected to it. I have bled the system, but I still get foam. The power steering pump sounds better, but I am wondering what the fix is. Can the power steering pressure switch malfunctioning cause the foaming? Could the pump (seal?) be causing this? Or is there another potential problem. I have looked at all of the lines, Everything looks dry, even along the rack. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-05-2010, 09:55 PM

Odds are, you didnt break the wires to the power steering (P/S) pressure switch. Honda made these wires to short and didnt fix the issue until late model 03's and the 04's. The broken wire caused the engine revving. As far as the pump goes, the foam is caused because you are taking in air into the system. Check to make sure your P/S belt is not too tight, as this can actually misalign the pulley shaft and allow air in through the seal. Also, check the inlet pipe on the front of the power steering pump. There should be a bolt (10mm head) on the bottom of it, make sure that is tight.