General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

slow starter

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 12:05 PM
Question slow starter

I have come to the mount seeking wisdom

I have a CRV that the starter only makes about a half of a turn and then stops dead.
Our first cold night I went out and the motor turned about one revolution and died. Thinking my battery was dead I tried to jump it to no avail. I then took the battery out and started my jeep with it verifying the battery was good. I then went to a local scrap yard and got a starter and bench tested it, and it was good. installed the starter and the vehicle started right up.
turned it off and started it again. drove it a few miles turned it off and restarted it 5 more times. it sat for about 4 hours went out same problem. i turn the key get about one revolution and it goes to dead. so at this point I should say that the whole time I was replacing the starter the battery was disconnected. So I am thinking is this a starter relay going bad? Is there something like the starter relay burning up the starter or pulling amps away from the battery and I can only get enough to turn the starter one time.
I am stumped! any help or suggestions are appreciated

Old 11-23-2018, 11:41 PM

Clean all battery terminal and grounding straps and chassis points
Clean terminals at the starter .. both battery and "S" post
This will normalize the electrical system so that other troubleshooting will be easier
And might even solve the issue.

Or, you can just do voltage drop of the load circuits and all the points in between.
Then where you find a voltage drop to clean just that part up.
Hopefully that will fix it

Last edited by avisitor; 11-23-2018 at 11:43 PM.