General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing belt broke...no money for mechanic...need advice on fixing

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 08:38 PM
Default Timing belt broke...no money for mechanic...need advice on fixing

I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L 3.5L V6 SOHC 24V with an interference engine.

My timing belt broke while driving about 20 miles per hour. As soon as it broke, the car turned off and I drifted about 10 yards to the side of the road. I tried to start the car again (not knowing that it was the timing belt), but no go. I had the car towed back to my home and hasn't move a muscle. I took two bolts off the timing belt cover to look inside to see that it was the timing belt that broke. The mechanic had replaced the timing belt one year prior, but I don't think he replaced the water pump...my guess as to the reason for the belt breaking.

I have watched many videos that say if your timing belt breaks while driving with an interference engine, you most likely have bent valves. Another video suggests to replace the timing belt, start the engine and if all sounds find, you are lucky. I am not sure what to do. I have taken the top two timing belt covers off and I noticed the front cam ironically is aligned TDC, but the top back cam is 180 degrees away from its TDC. The crankshaft is close to TDC.

I don't have the money to take the car in to pay thousands of dollars to have this done...a luxury I cannot afford right now. Any advice?

Should I pull the entire head off to have it resurface, plus the valves?

My biggest question is, if I try the simple method of replacing the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, etc. how on earth do I get the two cams and the crank all timed and aligned, since the timing belt broke while driving? If I move the crankshaft clockwise will the two cams move with it as well, even though the timing belt is broken?

I understand all the work that is required to replace the timing belt, but I am stuck whether I should remove the head or just replace the timing belt and see if the car runs smoothly. Also, I am not sure how to put it back in timing. I understand about TDC, but since the timing belt broke while driving, does that mean I have to adjust the cam and crank separately? If so, how do I do that adjustment?