Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Default timing belt

my 02 Accord has 94000 miles on it. I was wondering when should I get the timing belt replaced and if there is any difference between city and highway driving and timing belt wear? Also is it okay to go somewhere other than a dealership to have it replaced?

Old 08-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Default RE: timing belt

Hello John,

The timing belt should be replaced by 100,000 miles on your car if the temperature near you is not over 110°F regularly likeCA or AZ. I usually change the timing belt by 90,000 just to be on the safe side.

The timing belt change interval is based on mileage so the city vs. the highway is not going to change the interval time much. But the city driving is more likely to cause a premature failure because of the stop and go driving which caused the cam and crank to stretch the belt more by accelerating and de-accelerating.

Nevertheless, if you do not change the timing belt on your car and since your engine is a non-clearing type, major damage will occur with the top end of your engine when the timing belt snaps. Valves will hit the pistons and cause majr $$$ to repair plus you will definitely be stuck on the road.

When you change your timing belt, you may as well change all the accessory belts and the water pump as well. Since all these parts have to come off anyway, you'll just be paying for the parts not the labor exept alittle bit more to R&R the water pump. The timing belt drives the water pump. I always use OEM parts because they typically last longer and for critical parts like this, your better off being safe than sorry for using inferior parts that may not fit perfectly.

Dongss