General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

wet carpet

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Default wet carpet

I have a 2004 Pilot. Often, not always, when it rains the carpet on both the drivers side and the passangers side gets wet. It seem to soak up from under the carpet. The dealer wanted to take out the carpet? I think it could be the front window seal allowing water to leake down the fire wall onto the carpet. Has anyone else had a similar problem. Seems to do it more the older the car gets. Confussed.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: wet carpet

Aloha mcmoore: Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your stay. Yes it is possible for the water to leak in from the windshield and get your carpet wet. Also has happened if you have a moon roof. If the Dealer is doing the job under warrenty, it is good, if you are being charged, it will be expensive. When I had my accord leaking, (no moon roof) I went to a auto salvage yard that installed windshields at a low cost and got my accord done for about 70.00. Ca.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:59 PM

Well it didn't work. I took it to a reputable window repair place and they put high pressure water on it for 45 minutes. Couldn't get it to leak at all. They didn't want to pull the window and replace the seal if they couldn't get it to leak. Even though I was willing to pay. Suggested it could be the heater core leaking, but to me you would be able to smell the antifrezze and it is always just plan water. Anyone else have a suggestion.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

You are correct, if it was the heater core, you would smell antifreeze, and the windshield would also fog up, and the fluid would get lower in the rad. Do you have a moon roof, have you checked the fire wall for openings or where the cables go through and the water will run down on around them. Also the vent where the fresh air goes into, when rain goes in, it drains down the bottom of the box. if the drain is clogged, it may go into through the filter and drain on to both sides of the outlet vent drivers and passenger area.Have someone spray, (not pour) water into your intake vent, run the inside fan fresh air, and view both sides on the floor where the air vents out onto the carpet and see if water starts to dribble in. This would indicate a clogged drain line in the box where the cabin filter is.