Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 Honda Accord squealing at the water pump pully

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Default 1986 Honda Accord squealing at the water pump pully

1986 Honda Accord, 5-speed, 2BL Carb.

I purchased the car a week or so ago. It was fine. The belt (water pump, crank, alternator) was a bit worn, so I changed it. Now, I am getting this squeal that sounds like it is coming from the water pump. Over the weekend, I changed the alternator and the water pump, and the squeal is still there. The exact sound.

I took the belt off to see if the crankhad a problem. It runs fine with no belts on. No squeal. When I tied a string around the water pump and harmonic balancer pulleys, I get quiet engine operation. I did the same to the alternator. Same quiet engine operation. But, when I put the belt on all three, I get this squealing sound.

Any one have any idea of what is going on?

Old 07-28-2007, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1986 Honda Accord squealing at the water pump pully

Have you check the belt tension? This site might help. http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairqa/ques040_2.htmltype in search honda v-belt tension, this will take you to the information
There is also a sticky compound sold at the auto parts house that will help get rid of belt squeal.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Default RE: 1986 Honda Accord squealing at the water pump pully

Sounds like one or more of your pulleys are still loose after your repairs.

Try sprayinga little spraysilicone or water onto one pulley at a time to see if you eliminate the squealing. If you do, then you can narrow down to which pulley needs the tightening. Make sure thenew belts you brought were the correct ones(cross reference with another auto shop).

If the car did not squeal before your repairs, then you know it's more than likely the belt tension as acmech52 has mentioned already.

Sometimes on the older cars, you need alittle leverage with a pry bar or pipe if their is no screw adjuster. Just a little pressure, or you be replacing mounting tabs and stuff.

let us know how you did.

Please post your finds so others can sleep easy!!

Dongss