Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 Accord DX Radiator Gurgle.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Question 1987 Accord DX Radiator Gurgle.

So I've had my carbureted Honda for over a year now (Drives great in 2ft of snow!) and I've never had any major problems until now. Recently, it overheated and so we've replaced the thermostat (Which had rotted out) as of yesterday and it's seemed to drive fine.

However, I left work and stopped to grab a bite of food before arriving home, upon arrival home I heard a gurgling noise from my radiator.

I've had previous issues with my overflow container (The first time we had the oil changed it spewed out coolant all under my car afterwards.) so I am hesitant to fill the reserve.

Any ideas on what would cause this noise?

I've already checked teggers.com too, no info there. The only information I could find (for an 01 car that wasn't a Honda) said to fill the overflow and that it's just air in the radiator and it should cycle through after the 3rd or 4th drive.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. gurgle sound after the car has been run, and there is air in the top area of the radiator. the air continues to push out past the cap and the gurgle sound. As the car cools down, the water in the resevoir will return to the radiator.
Air comes from the combustion chamber leak through the gasket into the water system. ( older cars do this at times )
Service your overflow container when the car is cold, and check the radiator when the car is cold. Fill the overflow only to the cold full line. do not over fill.