Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

1991 Honda Accord LX won't shift after accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Default 1991 Honda Accord LX won't shift after accident

Recently got in an accident that "totaled" the car according to my insurance. I know it may be fixable and cheaper than buying a new accord, so I want to see if its possible to fix.

I got in a front end accident that smashed in my hood and radiator. Everything from when i look inside the engine appears untouched. The only part that seems messed up is the upper radiator hose, radiator, bracket, and things that were in front of the radiator.

My driver side light is also broken and the bumper completely came off (the plastic part not the hard one under it. that has a tiny gash on it and that's all.)

So so far I know I need a
New hood (or fix the bent one)
Bracket
Radiator
Radiator hoses
Things attached to radiator? (may come with radiator...they looked like pipes)

But my dilemma is...I don't know why my car won't shift out of park unless I insert my key in the shift lock thing. It refuses to shift on its own. And the car will not start. Everything powers on but it does not actually start. I have a feeling this may be an older issue where my battery cables are becoming old worn and dirty, so they're not properly emitting enough power for the car to start.

I attached an image so you can visually see the damage.

I don't even have a garage to part it in, so I can't get the value that I want for it. So I figure fix it up to a drivable condition, sell it for more than $145 (junk yards quotes). I just got the darn water pump and drive belts done the week before. My mechanic said the engine was definitely still good but he didn't want to start working on it unless he knew I had at least $3200 to fix it up with, Now I think he said $3200 because he doesn't want to bother with it. He has so many cars in his lot, it'd take at least 2 months before he could get to mine and actually take care of it. So I think that was his way of "go find someone else" without really trying to loose me as a customer.

Please help

Oh and another thing to note. Nothing on my dashboard is blinking or lights up other than the normal backlight.

Attached Thumbnails 1991 Honda Accord LX won't shift after accident-3n83p03o85o85tb5p5a1h9813b08a7ab512c6.jpg