Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

2007 Civic Hybrid - battery charging irregularities after accident

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Default 2007 Civic Hybrid - battery charging irregularities after accident

Hi everyone, total n00b to the forum -- I found this while searching around for my issue. Hope someone can help.

I've got a 2007 Civic Hybrid. Just got it back from the body shop last week -- there was some pretty severe damage due to a hit-and-run driver who creamed my entire driver's side while the car was parked on the street. (Jerk.) Car is back to normal, looks like new. It was mostly body work, although there was some suspension work done at the rear.

Anyway, I mention that because of the way it now operates after I got it back from being fixed. I'm not sure what the shop (it was not a Honda dealer) might have done to affect this, or the accident maybe, but it's the only thing out of the ordinary.

The battery doesn't charge or drain the same way it did before the accident. It's hard to articulate, but one of those things you notice about your own car. The battery seems to take much longer to charge while driving, and it seems to lose its charge faster. Sometimes, the charge gauge shows three little squares (the point at which the engine won't shut off when you're idling) and it doesn't seem to increase for a very long time while driving even though the display tells me that it's charging.

Then, it'll maybe go down to two squares. Then, suddenly, up up up it goes to full charge within a matter of seconds. After a little bit longer, I'm back down to two squares.

Is there something the shop might have done to screw up the battery or its connection? (Or, perhaps, the computer that assesses the charge?) Maybe the accident itself damaged something in the battery system and the shop didn't know to check it? (Initial, direct impact at the rear driver's wheel and just behind it.) Does the fact that the battery was disconnected have something to do with it? (I had to enter my radio code when I got it back.)

Any help is appreciated. I called Honda to ask, but they couldn't diagnose over the phone; as I suspected, they told me to take it to a dealer and have them assess.

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2012, 06:09 PM

i really have no experience with hybrids but i do no the batteries are very sensitive when the battery is drained of power they can become damaged and won't hold a charge but it mite just be something else causing this problem i would test the batteries to make sure there holding a charge then go from there because you don't want to start throwing money around when it could be something simple like a loose connection or a faulty gauge. here is a link that mite help your endeavors http://www.civicforums.com/forums/18...pair-here.html ps the dealer will charge you outrageous prices to replace those batteries so be prepared to be shocked no pun intended.

Last edited by lowlife9; 08-02-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:34 PM

Good post Lowlife.