Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Accord EX not starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 04:01 AM
Angry 1994 Accord EX not starting

Hi everyone I'd like to get your opinion on what could be ailing my beloved car.

1994 Accord EX with over 225K miles.

It does not start. The ignition switch was replaced about 2 months ago after it stalled on me while at a traffic light (mechanic replicated the situation by wiggling the key upon my taking it in). It worked fine after that, until about 3 weeks ago it just died as I drove down a street going about 20 mph. Around that same time, at the gas station (after filling up) it did not want to start up either. It took a few minutes and a few tries to get it going again.

Now today it does not start up at all. I can hear the engine turning but no go. I'm puzzled as to what is causing this. Ignition switch is new, the starter was replaced about 3 years ago, oil changes done every 3K. Just had a tune-up too. Anything else I should be looking at?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. have your mech check the main relay, this one is a when its warm, no start or after start and warm, shut down and no start until cool down for 15-20 minutes. also the ignitor in the distributor should be checked for hot spots.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 PM

i had the same problem with mine and it has 197k on it and i talked to a honda guru and he told me to replace plug wires i repalced plug wires and plugs and that fixed my problem

Old 07-08-2011, 01:10 PM

You may have a bad fuel pump,here is how to check if its running
Put the key into the ignition and turn it to the second position. This position will light up the dash lights but will not crank the engine.
listen for a faint or soft humming sound coming from the rear of the vehicle, specifically the gas tank. This will happen almost immediately after you turn the key to the second position, so you'll have to listen closely and be ready for it. The humming is the sound of the fuel pump priming, or pressurizing, the fuel system. If you do not hear this sound, you may have a faulty fuel pump.

Good luck,Bobby