Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Accord EX Coupe 2.3 grands install issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 03:21 PM
Default 1998 Accord EX Coupe 2.3 grands install issue

I have a 98’ Accord EX coupe 4 cylinder V-Tech I recently installed a used Transmission (automatic) I bought has 98K miles mine had 331K miles and was going out. Everything seem to go smoothly but now after the install when I put it into gear 1. It has like a delay and the when it does go into gear it’s really hard jerks the car especially reverse then into drive it also delays and goes into gear hard but not as hard as reverse. If I attempt to drive it when it goes to shift into second gear it shifts but the really quickly shifts back down like if you were in a manual trans and shifted down to 1st going to fast so I put it back in the driveway and have been trying to figure this out. NOTE: I put new axles in as well since old ones had ripped boots. It also seems to be leaking trans fluid
This is the best way I can describe it if anyone can help? Question also can any of this be happening if one or both axles are not in all the way for some reason?

Old 06-21-2022, 03:50 PM

Recent install of used transmission ... would bring back to warranty the transmission and the work done.
Transmissions are beyond my technical knowledge.

Old 06-21-2022, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by BIGC73
I have a 98’ Accord EX coupe 4 cylinder V-Tech I recently installed a used Transmission (automatic) I bought has 98K miles mine had 331K miles and was going out. Everything seem to go smoothly but now after the install when I put it into gear 1. It has like a delay and the when it does go into gear it’s really hard jerks the car especially reverse then into drive it also delays and goes into gear hard but not as hard as reverse. If I attempt to drive it when it goes to shift into second gear it shifts but the really quickly shifts back down like if you were in a manual trans and shifted down to 1st going to fast so I put it back in the driveway and have been trying to figure this out. NOTE: I put new axles in as well since old ones had ripped boots. It also seems to be leaking trans fluid
This is the best way I can describe it if anyone can help? Question also can any of this be happening if one or both axles are not in all the way for some reason?
Sounds like it's been kitted. Is this tranny stock?

Old 06-21-2022, 04:43 PM

Yes trans is stock as far as I know. Got it from LKQ.com trying to figure it out still but I do have a six month warranty I’m just trying to make sure it nothing I’m doing wrong on my end of it before doing a warranty thing. That’s why I’m kinda leaning toward axles not being in all the way but don’t know if that would cause this. I also swapped out shift solenoids to make sure that was not the issue and cleaned them.

Old 06-21-2022, 06:07 PM

What does the scan tool show?

Old 06-21-2022, 06:15 PM

No codes no check engine light nothing.

Old 06-22-2022, 09:36 AM

What about live data? Need to see what the TCM is doing when you shift gears and such. I would be looking hard at line pressure.

Old 06-22-2022, 04:26 PM
Default grcauto

Thank you for your input I don’t have a scan capable of reading that extra data I have one but not capable of reading that data. But question if it is in relation to TCM I would be better off returning this trans under warranty and getting another one right?

Old 06-22-2022, 09:54 PM

Sounds like a return is your best bet.