Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

1999 Honda Accord LX Stalls soon after ignition

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Default 1999 Honda Accord LX Stalls soon after ignition

I have a Honda Accord LX (1999). It has ran fine up until a little over a week ago. Since then, I have had my car stall several times. The engine dies, but the power stays on for the radio and dash. However, I lose power steering. All incidents seem to be within a mile of having started the car. I have noticed that if I let the car sit for a few minutes before driving it (when I initially crank it), then the car has not stalled. Not sure if that's just luck or if it might provide insight into the issue. The car will start back up after it stalls, but needs a few seconds before it will re-crank and stay cranked. I have done research on the problem already and I have already replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the battery, and put injector cleaner into my gas tank. The problem still exists as it stalled today as I backed out of my driveway. It then took a moment to get it started back up as it would not immediately crank back (after switching to park). I know two common problems are the Ignition Switch and the Main Fuel Relay going bad, but does my problem sound like one over the other? My car was not in the recall list for the ignition switch, but I've seen several people mention that Honda will replace them once for free regardless of whether it was in the recall list, is that true?

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1999 Honda Accord LX Stalls soon after ignition

welcome to the forum, it could be a bad ignitor in the distributor, if it is, the whole distributor is less cost then the ignitor. or could be the main relay. If you get a repair manual it should show you how to check either one, or the local library may have a set of chilton or helms book to use as reference.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the forum, it could be a bad ignitor in the distributor, if it is, the whole distributor is less cost then the ignitor. or could be the main relay. If you get a repair manual it should show you how to check either one, or the local library may have a set of chilton or helms book to use as reference.

I'm new to this, but, have a lot of good things to say about the 99 civic, like 75,000 trouble free miles, but, this is the reason I'm here, I cannot figure out the problem either, driving at speed, 70>90mph, no problem, out of the parking lot at work, slogging through traffic, it stalls, than has a problem starting, cranks okay, I had it stall 5 times in less than 2 miles the other day, this was the worst .... main relay??? why ???? distributor???? can i field check it by pulling plug wire while someone cranks it ??? I would appreciate any help