Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

2013 Accord Transmission Problem

Old 06-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Angry 2013 Accord Transmission Problem

I just bought a 2013 Accord EXL and within 150 miles the transmission started squealing during 1-2 & 2-3 shifts. When I first start driving it does not do it but within a mile or two it starts after warming up fully it only does it on somewhat harder acceleration. I took it back to the dealer and they have determined that they need to replace the transmission. They say that there is one in New Jersey that they will have tomorrow. I find it hard to believe that they have a transmission for a brand new model just setting around. I'm worried they will just rebuild the transmission. This is not what I paid for. Am I being unreasonable to ask for a different Accord? I called American Honda about the issue and they said they couldn't help because they don't sell cars. If that were true why would they produce them.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. I doubt if they try to rebuild the transmission. it takes to long and it too new a transmission to rebuild. they will replace with a new transmission and the warranty is still good. If the trans continues to go bad then it could be considered a lemon and the lemon law would apply. Honda will not give you brand new car if they can fix what is incorrect. You can try to ask for another accord but chances are slim they will replace it unless you have a good connection with the owner of the dealership or if you have a great pull with a lot of potential customers. American Honda is the go between a dealer and the Honda Co. if there is an issue to resolve, they step in to assist. If the dealer can fix the car, a good fix and not return, then no issue.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:30 PM

How long have you owned the car? some states allow 30 to 45 days to change your mind and bring the vehicle back. They will put in a new trans and charge it to Honda USA.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:49 PM

unfortunately things like this happen its just the way it is when thousands of vehicles are manufactured some things will inevitably go wrong thats why its under warranty. they have to make spare engines and transmissions if such things do happen. the trans will be replaced not rebuilt.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:12 AM

Well they replaced the transmission with a remanufactured transmission not a new one. They tell me that while the case is used all the internal parts are brand new. They will not give me a new car. They offered a 500 loyalty card good towards accessories or service. The dealership says they feel bad about it and are offering something also but we haven't decided just what yet. I asked if Honda could provide a navigation system for the car and the dealership could install it but they say that is not an accessory part that can be purchased. The dealership went to a local installer to see if there were any aftermarket units but there are none for the 2013 accord at this time. Would this repair show up in a Car Fax report when I go to sell the car? I guess I could go the arbitration route to try for a replacement car but I'm afraid that will take months. Honda is bound by arbitration but I am not. What would you do?