Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Accord - Driving on 3 cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 01:57 PM
Default 91 Accord - Driving on 3 cylinders

Bought a torque wrench at Harbor Freight. Was able to hear click noises on lugs, and one exhaust valve. Torque wrench failed on 2nd exhaust valve clearance adjustment - the click never came and I broke the screw in half - with half stuck inside the rocker arm assembly.

Right now Im stuck without a car. I wonder if I drive with 3 cylinders - (1991 accord is a 4 cylinder engine)
If I disconnect the fuel injector for #1 and I disconnect the Spark Plug wire hoping to shut down everything related to cylinder #1 - will that work out or will it be as bad as damaging my piston/valve and who knows what else the way it is now?

Old 08-27-2018, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum i would not recommend driving on 3 cyl. get it fixed. not worth damaging anything.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:44 AM

I wouldn't operate an engine without one or more firing cylinders unless it was just life or death. If you must, have a qualified person extract that broken bolt for you, hire a "mobile mechanic," or have it towed in to a shop. Being a front-wheel-drive car, you could rent a UHaul pickup truck and a car towing dolly and pull it to a shop yourself for not much money (less than $50.00 I would think).

*I am no mechanic but I have removed a few broken bolts. I would center punch as best I could dead center of the remaining bolt shaft. Drill completely through the bolt shaft with a pilot bit (small bit). Enlarge hole with successively larger bits as this will relieve pressure. Use a fluted extractor set in a drill to remove the broken bolt shaft. Clean up area of shavings with a magnet.

Some people suggest "reverse drill bits" as these drill in a counterclockwise turn which might unscrew the broken bolt but these are crazy expensive for a good set (a couple hundred dollars).

Now all this might be too intimidating and in a tight space, I'd be fearful to try at my level of experience. GOOD LUCK.