Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke 2 bolts in Attempting to Replace Taillight

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Unhappy Broke 2 bolts in Attempting to Replace Taillight

I did something that was extremely careless when I tried to replace the taillight on my 2005 Honda Accord Sedan. The bottom of the taillight has a metal bracket that holds that taililight in place via two bolts that project from the back of the car. In trying to remove this metal bracket, I broke off not just one - but both of the bolts and now cannot resecure the metal bracket to hold the replacement taillight securely in place. I believe that this metal brack also provides some degree of support for the rear bumper (which I had to remove to replace the taillight) in addition to the taillight. To get a better view of how these two bolts are anchored, I removed part of the interior lining in the trunk, and all I saw were the two large flat heads of the broken bolts on top of this metal plate. I cannot tell if the bolts are screwed to this metal plate, as their flat (and very low) heads do not allow me to use a socket wrench to torque them. I have tried using a nail set and hammer on the broken end of the bolts in an attempt to hammer them out of the metal plate, but they do not budge. Are these two metal bolts integral to the metal plate, as in welded? In order to fix this problem, do I need to buy the larger assembly that this metal plate is part of? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:33 AM

Welcome to the forum,I tried to find a picture of what you are refering to but no dice,it sounds like to me that the studs are welded in or press fitted,my advice would be to contact a body shop and ask questions about what they do when these studs are damage in a wreck.You may have to drill them out and put in new studs or at least bolts .Good luck

Old 04-07-2012, 04:58 PM

does this help??
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...GHT+%28-+05%29
the part in that picture i believe are number #14 and #17 here
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ERS+%28-+05%29

Last edited by lowlife9; 04-07-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Default Ended Up Drilling out Bolts Threats - Have New Bolt on Top of Old Bolt Head

Thank you all to all who responded.

The diagram was interesting but did not refer to the actual bolts holding the bracket assembly in place, which as I said before appear to perhaps have their bolt heads welded to the rear car frame.

What I ended up doing was to drill out the two bolt threads, after which I again tried to remove the original bolt heads, which are flat and round, by trying to tap them out from underneath using a nail punch and hammer.

They did not budge.

So what I ended up doing was to drill holes through the original bolt heads and insert new bolts on top of the original bolt heads.

Not the best possible solution, but it seems to work.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 AM

Glad you got it fixed,thanks for letting us know.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:50 PM

http://www.onsaletruckparts.com/
Try also calling these guys, they might have the parts you are looking for. Also in any cases you might need some body parts of your car.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 AM

They don't offer much for an 05 Accord

Old 05-10-2012, 03:49 AM

yeah i too know i think you can go with another r simple pay what they said!