Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord, Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Default 92 Accord, Oil Leak

I have a 92 accord, 5 spd, with 250K miles and going...

I noticed that my cat was smoking a little, and at first I thought I needed a new cat, but since it smelled like oil, I thought that I was burning oil instead. Not wanting to pay $2000+ to have my engine rebuilt, I looked for other possibilities of what was going on. Good thing I did, because it turns out I'm leaking oil, which is dripping back onto the cat, burning and causing that smell, also burning on the hot engine block.

While changing my oil one day, I decided to narrow down the sources of the leak.So I underwent the tedious job of cleaning off everything, and I mean everything, with a crap-ton of rags. I drove it around my normal routine, then after a few days I put it back up and went underneathe once again. This time, I foundoil running down the oil pan (instead of just a dirty engine). I traced it up onto the block and it appears to be coming from the timing belt region, which means it's most likely the Main Oil Seal... uh, which means I'm not happy. It seems to be getting slightly worse the longer I put off taking my engine apart (for obvious reasons I don't want to dig into my engine when I'm not 100% sure what the problem is), and it leaks oil when the car is off as well (but only while the engine is cooling down after running, not leaking continuously).

Has anyone else had this problem or some experience with the Main Oil Seal? I'd like to get another opinion or a comfirmation of my diagnosis, it would be greatly appreciated...