Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord Automatic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Default 94 Accord Automatic Transmission

HiAll,This is my first post and im really eager to share my story. its about my 94 accord and its auto gearbox

Inever took notice before but soon realizedhow harshly my transmission was shifting between gears. To 1st it was generally"ok"butto 2nd, 3rd and 4th it wasnt.i checked my fluid level one day and it was normal, on the cross hatched area, i knew ATF was supposed to be a red colourbut mine was far from that being a dark bownand smelling strange. A few days later irummaged through the service history of theaccord (im the 3rd owner) and noticed the car had a solid 100,000km serive history from honda, but the rest was done else were (the car currently had 187,000km)i also learned from records,the transmission fluid hadnt been changed since the last 100,000km service at the honda dealer. This sorta worried me as i knew thefluid should be changed every 30,000km or so.

soon after i booked my hondafor its 190,000km service and had ASSUMED the tranny would be checked and drained without a doubt, this was obviously not the case with the car coming back with old, brown transmission fluid.

so i decided to change the fluid myself, i knew that honda fluid was reccomended and everyone said to use that and only thatbut my dealer was out at the time and iwas informed to wait 2 weeks andi didnt want to wait that long.I went over to a few auto shops looking for dexron ll as my manual sugested. No luck. i went to a different auto shop and found a transmission fluid that specified "honda post 1990" i decided to buy it based on the fact it was a good enough brand and my 94 accord met the guidlines.

once i drained my fluid (the drain bolt was on so tight!!) i could see how worn it was, the colour was one thing but the smell was another! I filled the transmission with 3 litres (thats how much came out)and took the car for a drive and since that day i have noticed an improvement in the shifting.

The reason i have posted this is to ask a few questions.
1) i know the fluid should be drained and refilled 3 times. I have only done it once, is it necessary to do it 2 more times? if so how long do i wait beforei do each change?
2) judging by the worn oil and its over extended lifetime of 60,000kmshould i drain and refill with genuine fluid? or stick with second best?

thanks for reading and leave me a comment!

Old 01-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Default RE: 94 Accord Automatic Transmission

hello i work at a honda dealer and we dont do many drain and fills but use a tranny flush machine it rums 12-14 quarts of fluid through the trans while the car is running, seems to work, but always use honda fluid, also there is a shift cable that you might be able to adjust, i also have a 94 accord and it was shifting hard but we adjusted the shifter cable and it seems fine now, it is located on the pass side front down near the trans, kinda of like a accelator cable for the throttle body, but on the trans

Old 03-26-2009, 10:25 AM

Here is my problem....When I drive it as long as it is cold it seems to shift fine....but once it warms up it starts sticking in second and then I have nothing, no gears at all, it will just rev up....could it just need a fluid change, or do I need a whole new tranny?

Old 03-26-2009, 01:31 PM

when my accord got to the point of constant reving and no shifting i was sad to find out that no matter what kind of tranny fluid i put in it it still would do the same thing. you can turn it off and it will run for a second but will go right back to just reving in gear and won't go into the higher gears at all

once this happens its time to put a new tranny in or get yours rebuilt at a shop. most places will only do rebuilds because they want to "save you money". but the best way to save money is to buy a new tranny and diy. my 96 accord tranny took me two weeks to replace. You will need two jacks wooden blocks/cinder blocks, good wrench socket and breaker bar sets,BFH, etc