Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

95 Accord problems (help!)

Old 06-24-2018, 12:23 PM
Default 95 Accord problems (help!)

I have a 1995 Accord coupe with the VTEC 2.2 engine. I’ve only had the car two weeks and I’ve noticed a few problems.

1. When I crank it up when the engines completely cold it runs fine and shifts out fine. But when it warms up the shifts get a little sloppy, and there’s an audible knocking from the engine from 1800K rpms to 2500K rpms.

2. When the engine is warmed up and I have the AC running, when I put it in drive and start going the engine bogs down. When I press the pedal it bogs down even more. But when I let off the gas it returns to normal, and then I can drive normally. This is only after th engine has warmed up and I’m pulling out of my driveway or parking spot.

3. In town the gas mileage seems good. But on the highway it doesn’t seem so great. It uses about 2 gallons for a 35 mike trip.

4. When I’m slowing down to get off of the highway, the CEL comes on and stays on until I shut the car off. Crank it up again and no CEL. I’ve checked for codes but the CEL stays solidly lit. Any ideas?

5. When I floor the gas pedal there’s little throttle response. The rpms jump way up.but I don’t feel Vtech (but I think I hear it kick in). When I let off the gas a little that’s when I feel some power to the wheels, I can feel the engine pulling. But floored I feel nothing.

So there’s a list of all my current issues. If you have any advice or if you know what any of the causes could be please reply to this thread. All help is appreciated

Old 07-09-2018, 08:14 PM

Answering issues in order
1) to fix the knocking start with an oil flush and run rotella oil. It has zinc in it to keep metal to metal impacts from smacking into each other and hitting the zinc wich is very soft. So it squeezes down instead of slamming. If that doesnt do it, could be crank bearings going bad. Which basically means deal with it or have your block rebuilt. Shifting is most likely because the transmission was done without using Honda Transmission oil. I have heard Honda trans's don't like using anyone elses oil. I would change the trans oil. If that doesnt fix it, kinda same thing, may need a trans rebuilt.

2) Check/Replace your EGR Valve. Sounds like to much exhaust gas is being recycled back into your engine. There for not enough 02 to promote a good clean combustion.

3) Related to number 2

4) Probably number 2 still

5) Yup, your still describing the same issue, but in another way. It could also be bad fuel injectors, but an EGR valve is cheaper to start with. If that doesn't fix it I would replace your injectors. If they are dirty they put fuel into the combustion chamber as larger droplets so it takes longer to evaporate into fumes to combust. Liquid gasoline is not flammable.

I'm not a honda guy, just a car guy who recently baught a honda.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:15 PM

Now that I think about it, the knocking could also be related to the loss of power, but it could also be related to the EGR Valve