Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord F22B Turbo Forced Induction

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Default 96 Accord F22B Turbo Forced Induction

I recently bought a 96 Accord with a F22B engine with SOHC. I'm planning on installing a turbonetics kit from ebay. I plan on doing all the work with some mechanic friends. I'm want to replace and strengthen the internals but I'm on a budget. I was looking at pushing 8 PSI of boost and maximum 12 PSI if the engine can take it after improving the internals. I was thinking of going with some eagle H-beam rods and Wiseco piston set. I've been told I may need to upgrade the crankshaft too but all I could find is a Eagle crankshaft set up to be stroked.

Will this set of rods and pistons be enough to handle the boost? If not, what else would I need to upgrade? Should I upgrade the crankshaft with it if running boost or would the rods and pistons be good? What other small parts may I need to swap out besides the rings?

I'm happy to head advice or be pointed towards a related link (could not find one this specific). I'm going to do all the work myself and on the engine provided so please don't suggest a new vehicle, engine or paying a shop. And keep in mind this is on a BUDGET.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:23 PM

What CR are the pistons? The rods should be more than enough for just 8-12 psi. However, a good tune is the key! The stock block and crank are good for about 300-325 WHP. After that, I would be looking into a different engine, like a F20B, or something else with the iron sleeves.

Above 6-8psi, I would at least do valve springs and keepers. I would also look at upgrading the fuel pump and injectors. You don't need to go huge with them, no 2000cc or anything like that. 500-600 should be fine.

Since the engine is OBD2, you might want to go with an OBD2 to OBD1 harness adapter, and a different ECU, like a P28...

Head studs would be a wise choice too. The compression is low enough on the stock pistons that if you only ran 8 psi max, you could get away with them, but any more, I would want aftermarket, but only because I don't know how much the stock pistons can take. I know stock pistons and rods will do 6 psi all day long...

I hope this answers some of your questions. If you have any more, PM me.