Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Default 96 Accord Please Help

My 96 Accord is overheating. Both Fans are working, the problem as got worse over time. At first it would overheat on long trips.
Now it overheats in a matter of 10 minutes or less of driving. I pulled in earlier and now steam is coming out of the hose leading into the reservoir.
The reservoir is topped off. I have to add water to the radiator every time I drive it. I don't see any visible leaks but it gets so hot all my water evaporates! I changed the thermostat, that made no difference. Both fans work both when the ac is running and when it's not but they make no difference in the temp of the engine.

I am at my whits end now, I dont know what to do and have no idea how to get to the bottom of it.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 96 Accord Please Help

welcome to the forum: has the anti freeze been changed every 30k miles since new, if not the radiator will get filled with scale to start plugging up the core.Try to back flush the radiator to get some of the scale out of the radiator, it this does not help, get the radiator rodded out, or replace the core, or replace the radiator. flush the engine out if you can. Get a service manual or check with the library on how this is done. check all the hoses for condition. besure the fins on the radiator is not damaged to bad.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:50 AM
Default RE: 96 Accord Please Help

I didn't know if it would be a radiator problem since it is getting hot so fast. It doesnt even cool down when the car is going down the highway at a good speed anymore. It use to stay at a normal temp if air was flowing through the engine but now it goes right to hot and stays there. The car doesnt run bad at all, No shaking or anything even when its hot. Steam now just starts shooting out of the hose leading into the radiator over-flow. Didnt use to do that but now maybe it's so backed up the condition is worsening. I hope the issue is something as simple as the radiator. Any other suggestions? I am going to have a look in the morning for what you said.