Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord Vtec - white smoke at start up

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Default 96 Accord Vtec - white smoke at start up

I have a 1996 Accord V-tec. It sometimes develops white smoke when it first starts, then, it goes away after the car has run a short period. Sometimes the white smoke is allot and other times there is absolutely no smoke. I do know the car has over heated (used car) based on what I found after I replaced the head with a rebuilt one. However the new rebuilt head did not fix the problem. The car continues to have intermittent white smoke at startup. There is no water in oil. I occasion have to refill the coolant from time to time (but all the time).

Observations: When the original head was removed I noticed cylinder-1 had a difference in residue in head's underside. This suggested the coolant leak is into cly-1. I replaced the head with a rebuilt one. I also changed the Oil and there was not water in the oil. Could the problem be in the intake manifold? at the cylinder 1 intake there is a coolant feed area. Perhaps a crack had developed within the inner wall between the coolant area and the cly-1 intake chamber. Has anyone seen this type of problems? Any ideas?

I plan to work on the car this weekend and will start with a compression test. Any help in diagnosing the cause is greatly appreciated. (Note: the car runs great after the white smoke clears)

Thanks

Old 08-27-2013, 05:56 PM

overheating could have caused the engine block to warp if that's the case replacing the head or head gaskit won't fix the problem. you need to do a compression test to find out the problem.