Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 accord 3.0 v6 timing belt broke😞

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 04:46 PM
Default 98 accord 3.0 v6 timing belt broke😞

My moms 98 honda 3.0 v6 dohc broke the timing belt. Im just assuming its never been replaced and this bad boys at 220k manual says replace every 80k but we just got this car. The body of the car is as good as it gets. Not a scratch or a spec of rust. Besides the engine cradle which im planning to replace. I know im gonna have to pull this engine out and rebuild it. i am a mechanic 24yrs old not familiar with dohc engines yet iv done quite a few engine rebuilds from other issued like shattered pistons. I know its an interference engine and it totally pinged the valves and backfired. Im wondering exactly all of the damage that has probably been done? Will the heads be screwed or can i just do a full valve job on them including machining the seats or lapping them if there not bad? Im willing to replace pistons, cams, valves. Could there be damage done to the crankshaft? Im just needing a little more information so i can get a price on parts. If the crank or heads are damaged then im sure its cheaper to buy a new engine

Old 09-25-2021, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. take the heads off to see how much damage. if its piston valves and head, find a good low milage engine and replace the engine. you can cost parts out, but usually cheaper to get a good used engine and just R&R.. make sure the timing belt, water pump crank and cam seals, and belt tortion roller is replaced..

Old 09-25-2021, 10:08 PM

How about trying compression and leak down tests, to see if there is any valve damage. It is an interference engine but maybe you got lucky and nothing is damaged that bad, except the timing belt.
Like mod said, since youre in there replace the water pump, and all the others he listed. Good luck

Old 09-26-2021, 02:38 PM

[QUOTE=acmech52;38646]welcome to the forum. take the heads off to see how much damage. if its piston valves and head, find a good low milage engine and replace the engine. you can cost parts out, but usually cheaper to get a good used engine and just R&R.. make sure the timing belt, water pump crank and cam seals, and belt tortion roller is replaced..[/

im gonna have it towed to my work and start checking out the damage i know i definitely heard a good loud clunk come from cylinder 4 twice cause i turned it over like a dummy so i think the valves are stuck open on cylinder 4. Im gonna check out the prices on used engines. Thank you for the info