Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt and TDC question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 10:16 PM
Default Timing Belt and TDC question

I have a friend whose a hobbyist mechanic - meaning hes never been formally trained as a mechanic - but thinks he knows everything honda.
Im looking to change my timing belt for the first time and what he says doesnt make sense to me.

He says all I have to do is mark the timing belt on the cam shaft and the pulleys - and its that simple. Just make sure to put the new belt on the same teeth as the one on the vehicle right now.
He says I dont have to worry about top dead center because the belt will just be replacing the last with all the markings.

My thinking is; just return everything to top Dead Center - and I wouldnt have to worry about anything. It would be like I broke my timing belt, and the safest answer is to just match all TDC markings top and bottom - and thats a better way to do it.
Is he right, am I right, are we both right?
Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer this

Old 09-26-2021, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ftcc student
I have a friend whose a hobbyist mechanic - meaning hes never been formally trained as a mechanic - but thinks he knows everything honda.
Im looking to change my timing belt for the first time and what he says doesnt make sense to me.

He says all I have to do is mark the timing belt on the cam shaft and the pulleys - and its that simple. Just make sure to put the new belt on the same teeth as the one on the vehicle right now.
He says I dont have to worry about top dead center because the belt will just be replacing the last with all the markings.

My thinking is; just return everything to top Dead Center - and I wouldnt have to worry about anything. It would be like I broke my timing belt, and the safest answer is to just match all TDC markings top and bottom - and thats a better way to do it.
Is he right, am I right, are we both right?
Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer this
mhhmm you always want to make sure you put the engine in TDC. Also after putting the belt on, rotate the crankshaft two full revolutions and see if the cam and crankshaft align back up again with the markings.

Old 09-27-2021, 02:58 PM

The issue with your friend's method of replacing the timing belt is that there is slack
When taking up the slack, does the timing move?
Better to set everything the correct method so when the tensioner is released that the timing is correct.
Can be done the other way but there is a chance it may not be exactly right.
And who wants to do the timing belt twice??