Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 electrical problems - please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 10:41 AM
Default 2 electrical problems - please help

Issue #1: Intermittently, not every time, but when I click the turn signal, my entire dash goes out sometimes. My headlights and even highbeams still work - just the dash console goes dark.
If I click off my headlights and then turn them back on - the dashboard lights up again.
Any chance someone can point me where to start looking

Issue #2: Check Engine light comes on whenever I am either coasting and put on the brake, or if I just coast down a hill - it will sometimes come on all on its own.
My car has been studdering some at startup.
I do have an oil filter that has a small drip - even though Ive used 3 oil filters and never had any problem until I went to advanced auto and they ga ve me an updated oil filter because the old fuel filters were discontinued they said. That one leaked all over the exhaust, and creates some smoke when the pipe heats up, and so I changed it for another. They gave me a mobile One fuel filter that does the same thing. Still leaks a bit everytime I drive, and the oil has darkened the A Pipe of the exhaust, gotten onto the resonator, and the CAT which I changed 4 years ago, has somehow seem to be backfiring or causing some major studering when I drive.
So dont know if this is the fuel pump, something to do with the exhaust, but the engine light has never come on before, and only comes on when I am rolling at a fast speed or coasting down a hill and press on the brake.

If anyone has any insight Id greatly appreciate it.

Old 09-30-2021, 11:37 AM

Issue #1, the common points are the stalk switch that holds the turn signal and power to turn on the dash lights
It is usually that switch that goes bad. But, there is also the clock spring which I doubt is causing this issue.
I do not have the service manual or any data on how to test the switch.
Would watch some youtube videos about the stalk switch issues.

Issue #2 is a bunch of stuff. First get a good oil filter to fix leak. Double check to make sure old rubber gasket is not on.
Double gasket usually causes oil leaks at filter. Bad oil level and/or burnt oil will cause performance issues due to Vtec.
Would look into a scanner or code reader to read DTC and see which cylinder is misfiring.
Swap coils if coil over plugs and see if the misfire follows the coil.
If ignition wires then check wires. Might think about changing spark plugs.
Also to throw a bottle of fuel injector cleaner.
Apparently when coasting, the cylinders are not burning the fuel and the check engine light is turning on
Possible damage to catalytic converter?

Remember that we are not there to see anything nor can we tell what is actually going on
So all this are guesses.