Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice On Timing Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Default Advice On Timing Belt Replacement

I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

I have a 2002 Honda Accord Ex. It current has approximately 74,400 miles and its seven years old. After a routine oil change, I was recently told by Honda maintenance that the timing belt will need to be changed. The standard maintenance schedule for belt replacement is 7 years or 105K miles.

I was given a quote of $895 to change the timing belt (only?) from one Honda dealership. Another one said that it will be $1,000 (replacing two drive belts, the timing belt, water pump and run valve adjustments).

1. SInce I only have 74,000 miles, can I delay replacing the timing belt and if so for how long?

2. Should I replace the timing belt only or should I replace the other parts as mentioned above?

3. Do I have to go with Honda? Is it possible to get a better price and same service from places like Midas, Sullivan Tires, Meineke?

4. If I go with someone other than Honda, what kind of questions should I ask and are they suppose to use Honda parts for replacements?

Old 09-14-2009, 01:26 AM

my second car is a 1993 honda accord lx. for that car the timing belt replacement is recommended every 60k. It's recommended that the water pump be replaced because it's right there. If that pump fails then it's the same cost as replacing a timing belt so they normally give you a deal. Go to a reputable place. i paid around $550 for my timing belt and water pump. a lot of times the dealership goes overboard.

check the maintenance schedule for your car.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:18 AM

I've got an 01 Accord V6,

My schedule is 105k mi or 84 months according to the book. so they're bringing yours up for time reasons if your schedule is similar to mine (book with the maintenance schedule doesn't indicate ti as V6 specific and even lists your balancer belt that I don't have in ti so I'm figuring it's for all '01s.)

Despite 84 months having been a year ago for me, I haven't changed the timing belt yet. I'm still only at 92k. The belt is definitely on my to do list. Been thinking of doing mine myself though.

Check your schedule though since you said you were an 02. I'd bet they want you on time.