Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a 1994 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 11:26 AM
Default Bought a 1994 Honda Accord

I grabbed my best friends Honda Accord, it is a 1994 accord, non-vtec, 4 cyln, 4 door. I already knew about its issue, and didn't care because it only has 121k miles and runs great for its age, nearly perfect, shifts great too. But the car has a problem where it does not BLOW ANY HEAT AT ALL, the air comes out but it doesn't blow HOT, so it is not the blower motor.

I am trying to find out if anyone knows all the possibilities that it could be. AFAIK it could be a heater core (but wouldn't it leak, if it was the HC??)
Or maybe a stuck open thermostat? If you have any other suggestions I would like to hear them, thanks in advance gents

David

Last edited by Syttorak; 02-12-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:49 AM

Welcome in,it foes sound like a stuck open thermostat, when it's open the coolant never properly heats up ,i would try changing it, cheap attempt to fix it,good luck.

Old 02-13-2021, 12:58 PM

yeah I am going to start with checking the cable that actives the heat (the slider on the dashboard that goes from cold--->HOT with the red/blue line) make sure thats okay, and then I have been thinking I should flush out the Heater core to make sure it is NOT clogged, because my friend that I bought it from had a leaky radiator for a while, and could have put nasty stuff in it to "plug the hole" like bars leaks or something.. flushing it at home, and checking the cable is pretty much free.. if the cable is okay and the heater core isnt clogged it can ONLY BE the thermostat ya know?

correct me if I am wrong, I can't think of any more issues, but then again that is why I asked here, maybe someone knows another thing besides those three issues that could cause this...?

Last edited by Syttorak; 02-13-2021 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:47 AM

It could be the temperature control is not moving the blend door??
There are two actuators. One to choose between hot and cold.
The other chooses which vents to flow thru to the cabin
Could also check to see if heater hoses going to fire wall is hot??
Are there valves on the heater hoses??
Does cooling system have enough coolant??

Old 02-14-2021, 08:55 AM

Thank you so much for this reply, the part about checking the hoses that run INTO the firewall was actually supposed to be in my last update post, I wanted to ask is this was a good way (for sure, because they say on certain YouTube videos that it is) to check and see if the heater core is clogged. I watched several videos where the guys disconnected BOTH those hoses and ran water with a garden hose through the heater core and it cleared it out and there heat worked right away. I am thinking that if ONLE ONLY ONE hose is hot and the other is cool or Luke warm, that might prove that the HC is clogged...RIGHT?
If so, and the "problem is a clogged HC" then flushing it out should fix it rather than replacing it ..again correct me if I am wrong.

And the actuators on the heater control that you mentioned, that was the "cables" i was referring to about in my last post as well, how do i check those???
do i just make sure that when i flip the switch on the control that it is moving something under the hood?? or where is it located?

Old 02-14-2021, 08:58 AM

basically I am REALLY friggin hoping i don't have to rip my dashboard out, to replace the Heater core... and I definitely can't afford to pay 450-1000 to have a $30 part replaced.. so I would have to do the job - I worked in shops for while, this wouldn't be my first dashboard removal, I am 100% sure I COULD DO IT, but don't want to if its pointless

Old 02-14-2021, 07:32 PM

So far, your logic seems right to me.
It now becomes a matter of doing those checks.

On my Elantra, if the heater core needed to be replaced
Then could cut the metal lines going to the heater core
Then slide the heater core out.
Cut the replacement in the same place.
Slide new one in and connect hoses to the cut lines and tighten clamps
Don't know if there is a work around for your vehicle.
Check youtube to see if any possible.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:38 PM

awesomeness, I appreciate that. That is the answer I was looking for, whether or not my logic seemed sound. I lost so much when the epidemic started, and I have been sitting on a little cash., I don't have an income or a large amount, So I am trying to avoid using a shop for too much work.
I also need to replace the headlight fixtures (one light got smashed out) figure out why the windows don't all roll down, all the time, and throw a radio and speakers in it.
Going to a professional for any of the work, or too much of it, will leave me without enough money to get it fully on the road so I am trying to figure out as much as possible by myself, and with free help online and what not... But man.... I hate this damn virus...