Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Default brake question

Started replacing the rotor and pads on the rear of my 98 EX coupe. 152,000 miles.
Pretty straight forward except one of the two " pins? " that allow the caliper to slide in and out was stuck. I was able to force the pin out. It was dry and showed signs of corrosion. The other pin seemed fine. Both rubber boots looked fine.
Can I clean this up, repack with grease and reused this? I put the pin in a drill press and hit it with a file and steel wool to clean it up. I was thinking of stuffing steel wool on the hole and spinning it with a drill bit to try and clean up the walls of the hole the pin fits into. or should I /can I just replace this bracket? and not the whole caliper??

I've done my own brakes for years and this is the first time I've found these pins to be corroded/stuck.

Thansk for any suggestions...

Steve

Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 AM

If you are talking about brake caliper guide pins,you should be able to buy new ones.Check with your local parts house or Honda dealer. They run from $1.99 up to $7.95 a pair.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by bucwheat
If you are talking about brake caliper guide pins,you should be able to buy new ones.Check with your local parts house or Honda dealer. They run from $1.99 up to $7.95 a pair.
Yes that would be the proper name.
I guess my question is concerning the part the pin slides into. I was able to clean up the pin pretty well but what about the other part? It has the rubber boot attached to it and I really cant see the condition of it on the inside but I assume its also corroded inside? Can you buy just that part or does it come with the whole caliper?

Thanks

Steve