Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburetor problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Default Carburetor problems

Hello, I just bought a 1984 Accord Hatchback. I'm having a few problems. First of all, the idle was a little rough and when you put the car in gear (it's an automatic) or turn on the lights or anything the idle would greatly reduce to the point of the car stalling. I figured there must be a vacuum leak, so I found three different hoses either dry rotted or pulled off. Replaced all these and the car idles and runs smoothly but the idle is too high, about 1500 RPMs. The idle adjust screw will not bring it down, only increase it when turned. What should I try? Thanks for any advice.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:23 AM

Welcome to the forum,try this,Locate the throttle cable,it will be near the back of the engine baynear the firewall. Adjust the cable nut by turning it counter clock wise to loosen the tension.The proper tension for the throttle cable in most Hondas is 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch play in the center of the exposed section of the cable.Hope this helps Good luck ,Bobby

Old 02-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Default Thanks

I'll check throttle cable adjustment tomorrow. Thanks for the advise. I'll let you know what I find

Old 02-12-2011, 01:16 PM

Please do!

Old 02-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Default It worked

I adjusted the throttle cable, and idle speed came down. I used the throttle adjust screw to set the correct idle, and car idles well and when driving the transmission seems to shift at proper times. However, putting the car in gear still pulls the idle down too low, and even turning on the headlights has an effect on idle. I sprayed a little aerosol around carburetor and there seemed to be no vacuum leaks. Any more ideas would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:49 AM

Try using a carb cleaner to remove any gum build up in the carb,also now that you have adjusted the cable now try the carb adjustments again to fine tune.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:11 PM

does the car do this only in park or nuetral?