Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

Crazy Starting Problem on a 91 Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Default Crazy Starting Problem on a 91 Accord LX

Hey, I could really use some help.
I have a 91 Honda Accord LX with 120k. It is fuel injected, manual, 4dr.
For about 6 weeks it has had a problem where it will sometimes not start. It will crank just fine. I was told by some idiot mechanic that "he'd seen it 100 times and a new starter would do the trick." So I changed the starter and it still does it.
It will ALWAYS pop-start. Also, if you wait 20 minutes to an hour, it will start. Sometimes it goes days without doing it. Sometimes it does it twice a day. Does it when the engine is warm. Does it when it's cold. Ruins my life.
So the obvious suspect is spark: I unplugged the wire at the distributor end and you can see the spark jump, so that seems to be ok.
I am not sure if the fuel pump is coming on. What's a good way to check for this?
Ignition? Main Relay? Distributor? I've searched the forums and I haven't nailed it down. The two things that really make it odd are that you can pop start it and that it is SO intermittent. It doesn't seem to have gotten worse.
ANY help you can spare would be MUCH appreciated.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:39 AM
Default RE: Crazy Starting Problem on a 91 Accord LX

Try using emory cloth on your ignition coil electrical connections inside the distributor cap. It sounds like a similar problem I had on my 90 accord this past weekend. It does not sound like a fuel problem because you can start it by popping the clutch. I also found some moisture in my distributor cap that cause the corrosion on my eclectrical connections. I hope this helps you.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:40 AM
Default Starting problem

Yes! I also have had this problem. Mine is a 2013. I also spoke to a USAA spokes person and she said her 2016 had the same problem. I called Honda Corporation and they checked to see if there was a campaign concerning this problem and they said no. Now reading this I know we need to unite and make them see this problem in their Accords and repair them. Please contact me so we can start a
campaign in Facebook. My Accord is manual also. Look me up at Judith Moran.

Old 02-12-2020, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

most of the time the coil in the distributor gets hot or shorts out and will cause a no start when hot, or a sometimes start, sometimes no start. most of the time changing the distributor fixes the no start when warm.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:13 PM

There are so many things that can cause a no start
Then an intermittent no start is worse.
Looking up Honda no start, there was one with a cold solder joint on the main relay
And then there is the wire loom that goes to the Crank position sensor,
It rubs against something and the wire shorts.
Or, shorted MAF sensor
Or, weak fuel pump
etc.