Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problems.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Default Starting problems.

Anyone ever have this problem. My '91 Accord starts up every morning, no problem. But recently it started giving me this problem where I drive it for 10-30 min and park it, get back in after a few minutes and it just won't start. It turns over but will not start. I open the hood and after a few minutes it will then start right up. It's getting annoying now because it's made me late for work and two other things in the last few days. I'm guessing it's something to do with heat and the wiring because it will start faster when I open the hood versus not lifting it. But....I'm only guessing. Has this happened to you or have you heard of this problem? I'm worried that eventually it will just not start because of some electrical problem and will have to miss a day of work getting it figured out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. =)

Old 07-01-2011, 02:01 PM

My guess would be either the starter going bad or vapor lock.I would bet it's a heat soak problem .A new starter will solve the problem,have you noticed the starter turning over slower than normal?

Old 07-04-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by bucwheat
My guess would be either the starter going bad or vapor lock.I would bet it's a heat soak problem .A new starter will solve the problem,have you noticed the starter turning over slower than normal?
Thanks, Bucwheat for your reply! I'll be honest, I haven't noticed any problems with the starter getting slower than normal but I could do some tests on it to see if it's starting to wear down. I've never heard the term "heat soak" and tried to google it to find a good definition of what it means. Could you elaborate on that more on what it would mean to me in my situation? I've been real busy lately (which doesn't help me get my problem fixed) but I will test out the things you've mentioned to see if the problem lies there. Thanks for your help thus far, Bucwheat! Very much appreciated!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

also check your main relay, this will cause a no start in warm weather or after the car is warmed up and stopped to fill gas, a no start. wait for a while and start is good.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
also check your main relay, this will cause a no start in warm weather or after the car is warmed up and stopped to fill gas, a no start. wait for a while and start is good.
Is this the main fuel relay or the "fuel injection main relay" that you talk of? I've been looking at them on eBay and there is quite a difference in cost. Haven't checked the local parts store to see what they cost there but it's worth a shot. Funny thing is, I haven't had the problem happen since I posted here and it's been hotter than normal. I'm sure it will happen again. It's only a matter of when. =)

Old 07-09-2011, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

main relay in the cabin, on the drivers side, above the foot area. if you go to hondaautomotiveparts.com you can input your car info and find it easier. also the distributor ignitor can case the same thing, look for hot spots.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:06 PM

@ Loco Ken...... any luck with your starting issue?? My 92 Accord did something similar, would crank and start fine. but after some driving and shut it down, and come out of store it would crank, but would not keep running. Turned out to be the ignition switch...when it would happen, i would have to hold the key half way between start and run to keep it running and get it home...

Old 10-28-2011, 11:30 AM

It was the main relay in the cabin up under the dash as everyone has suggested. Thanks for the help and sorry for not getting back to this thread sooner. Life kinda got in the way, if you know what I mean. Again, thanks for the help!

Old 10-28-2011, 01:06 PM

Thanks for letting us know,glad you found out what the problem was.