Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord 91 wont start in morning!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Default Accord 91 wont start in morning!

I have a question about my 1991 Honda Accord LX. This car has about 123,000 miles, automatic transmission, A/C and is a 4 cylinder. For a couple of months I have had a problem with the car not starting, though very infrequently and in wet weather the problem is worse, or the car will not start at all it takes a lot of time.

It turns over with strenth. I just yesterday replaced the spark plugs, but today it was hard to start again.
Also, I am not sure if this means anything, but the plugs had some oil on them, and were quite dirty, but not a lot of carbon build up or anything unusual that I could tell. I have read that distributors have a bearing problem, could this be it? Please help!
Do I need to change the distributor cap or the starter.??

Old 10-31-2009, 01:19 PM

i'd check the specks on your plug wires, ignition coil & module. Check your dis cap & rotor if it's fouled then replace them. i replace mine every 2 years before my smog check. i have a 93 accord has 230k so your milage is less than mine. oh your starter.. when you turn it over if it sounds weak it may need to be replace. it's a simple check at the shop. i had the problem of it not starting when it was warm and it was the dame ignition module.

hope this helps

Old 11-01-2009, 01:40 PM

I am almost 100% sure that you need to replace the EFI Main relay. It is located under the dash to the left side of the steering wheel and under the cruise control box(4x5" silver square box). If you are good with a soldering iron and have a de-soldering iron, you can fix it pretty easy. The soldering job from the factory is sub-standard and can cause many types of failures. I had the same problem and fixed mine my self. No problems after that.

Here is a great link on how to re-solder the main relay and many other tips...

Hope this helps.

Z

Old 11-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Default Thanks a lot but

Well, I will give you more details. I did have a problem starting the car when it got really hot and it would not star at all. So I replace the Main Relay. I think it solved that part of the problem. Then this happened you know, sometimes when it is wet it is hard to start.

Another thing is that there is a hole in the escape tube, the exhausted that is visible and it is noisy.

finally It is vibrating more than before, and it is more noticible when you shift gears to reverse.

Thanks you all for your answers.