Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drive axle snap ring questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Default drive axle snap ring questions

96 honda accord ex

ok i have been able to get both driveaxles within a little under an inch of the transmission but they seem to get stuck at that last little bit of movement.

at this point im pretty sure its the snap ring on both axles getting caught. what is the best way to position the snap rings on the axles so that they can slide in? like do i need to make sure the side of the snap ring with the gap is pushed in all the way or the complete side pushed in so that the two ends are slightly sticking out. it seems no matter what i do part of the snap ring will always be stickin out a little

the transmission i just installed is from japan so would it have a different spline count then the usdm one did making it to where i have to get different axles?

also is there a site that lists the different spline counts on jdm/usdm trannys and jdm/usdm drive axles?

any ideas?

Old 03-25-2009, 07:55 PM

Heres the trick to get your drive axles in:

i found it good to tie the knuckle ends of the driveaxle to hold it level with the tranny. then you gotta slide the axle in till it stops, then spin it til it drops down again(will be just a little bit but it will turn the tranny. there will be about a 1 inch gap still. then from the knuckle side you push in on the axle to have the end of the inner cv joint hit the end of the outer race. then while holding it there(it will hold itself up from the tranny end with it partially engaged and the tie earlier will hold your end up for you. all you gotta do is press in) strike the tip of the axle as square on as you can and slowly you will see the axle start to go in. this happens because of the snap ring catching the inner tranny splines. once you hear the click your done. the axles should have completely slid up against the trannys.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum and thank you for the information. This should help others already planning to change their axles. Good Job Save lots of money.