Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a general sunroof question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 12:47 AM
Default a general sunroof question

Say a sunroof is closed and it rains hard. Can rainwater still seep between the sunroof rubber seal and the metal roof opening, and drain out through the four drain holes at the four corners of the sunroof? Or is the sunroof seal supposed to keep rainwater getting to the sunroof drains in the first place?

I ask this question because my 1999 accord is gathering water on passenger side floor during rains. I put a garden hose on the roof of the car and I could see water trickling along the side wall below the glove compartment in to the passenger side floor. So I figure water is somehow getting in past the sunroof seal. But then what is the purpose of having a seal? I am stumped.

Old 06-24-2021, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

have you tried putting some blue tape to cover the seal of the sunroof to prove where the water is coming from. and yes unless your seal is brand new and not 20+ years old seals do leak. also window seals do leak. i have seen a few on various vehicles when the windows are changed or seal is replaced. you can also tape up your windshield with the blue tape for proof of water leak. (Blue Painting Tape)

Old 06-25-2021, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
have you tried putting some blue tape to cover the seal of the sunroof to prove where the water is coming from. and yes unless your seal is brand new and not 20+ years old seals do leak. also window seals do leak. i have seen a few on various vehicles when the windows are changed or seal is replaced. you can also tape up your windshield with the blue tape for proof of water leak. (Blue Painting Tape)
good idea, will give it a try. thanks.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

if you ever get a chance to visit a auto window shop, ask the techs that change the windshields about rust on vehicles under the windshield rubber seals. rust where you cannot see. you will be surprised. even the back window leaks into the trunk and no one ever sees it.

Old 06-26-2021, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
if you ever get a chance to visit a auto window shop, ask the techs that change the windshields about rust on vehicles under the windshield rubber seals. rust where you cannot see. you will be surprised. even the back window leaks into the trunk and no one ever sees it.
thank you for the reply. i was just reading about the front windshield seal on Accords on another thread. I will check that out as well.