Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My '13 Accord is a Jerk.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Default My '13 Accord is a Jerk.

2013 Accord Touring, automatic. I bought it brand new last January from the dealer. Two months ago, I went to parallel park and the entire car started violently jerking. It's done it several times since then and here's what I've gathered: 1) The car primarily jerks at low speeds 1-5 mph in both reverse and drive, primarily when parking but sometimes when I'm accelerating from 0 mph, 2) Applying the break stops all jerking, applying the gas again commences jerking 3) this happens typically in cold weather when the car is both cold and hot, but not every time I drive/park it 4) the AC/Heat "cycles" down/up (less air blowing) right before the jerking begins, 5) typically my "Forward Collision Crash Problem" alert flashes on and then off for no apparent reason,but I can't necessarily correlate this 6) the RPMs do bounce a little bit (a notch or two) during the jerking, 7) Eco mode is on and off when this happens and 8) there are no error lights/warnings/beeping/etc. to indicate that there is anything wrong.

My best description of the jerking is that it comes from the front, center of the car. You know when you drive a manual and you don't give it enough gas as you shift and the car jerks? That's what this feels like.

I've brought it to the dealer twice and they can't recreate the problem, everything checks out as clean and they don't know of any service bulletins about it.

Any thoughts as to what this may be? I'd prefer that the engine/transmission don't fall out during my morning commute and that I can parallel park in the city without hitting anything.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Default UPDATE with Video

Originally Posted by BetsDancer
2013 Accord Touring, automatic. I bought it brand new last January from the dealer. Two months ago, I went to parallel park and the entire car started violently jerking. It's done it several times since then and here's what I've gathered: 1) The car primarily jerks at low speeds 1-5 mph in both reverse and drive, primarily when parking but sometimes when I'm accelerating from 0 mph, 2) Applying the break stops all jerking, applying the gas again commences jerking 3) this happens typically in cold weather when the car is both cold and hot, but not every time I drive/park it 4) the AC/Heat "cycles" down/up (less air blowing) right before the jerking begins, 5) typically my "Forward Collision Crash Problem" alert flashes on and then off for no apparent reason,but I can't necessarily correlate this 6) the RPMs do bounce a little bit (a notch or two) during the jerking, 7) Eco mode is on and off when this happens and 8) there are no error lights/warnings/beeping/etc. to indicate that there is anything wrong.

My best description of the jerking is that it comes from the front, center of the car. You know when you drive a manual and you don't give it enough gas as you shift and the car jerks? That's what this feels like.

I've brought it to the dealer twice and they can't recreate the problem, everything checks out as clean and they don't know of any service bulletins about it.

Any thoughts as to what this may be? I'd prefer that the engine/transmission don't fall out during my morning commute and that I can parallel park in the city without hitting anything.
I finally got a video of the car acting up. We narrowed the problem down to three things (updated from the above): 1) slow speeds, 2) Forward Collision Warning has something to do with it--whether a symptom or a cause we're not sure and 3) it happens when you crank the wheel both right or left. Be sure to watch with sound on because it makes a noise at the same time the car jerks.

Any thoughts or suggestions?