Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice on a "sick" 2005 accord

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Default need advice on a "sick" 2005 accord

Hi all, I am new to posting. I have a 2005 accord with 80000 miles and have been a honda owner since 1993. A few weeks ago, my emission light went on and I brought it to my regular local mechanic. After some testing, they initially thought it was a problematic coil to the 4th cylinder. After they replaced the coil, the next day, the car was still not running appropriately. I brought it back to the same mechanic and, after further testing, they became concerned that there was a problem with the 4th cylinder (misshapen?) which could cost $2,500. I was quite shocked by this and never imagined that my 8 yo car would need this amount of work. I brought it to my local Honda dealer who told me after their testing that the 4th cylinder had a blown gasket. But, he admitted that he would need to take the cylinder apart to determine if there were further problems with the cylinder itself. He called Honda Corporate who noted that they expect me to pay $1595 and they would cover only the rest of the gasket. If there is any problem with the actual cylinder head, they will not cover any of it. I need some advice about where to go from here. I have loved my honda, but I never imagined that I would have a cylinder/head gasket problem at 80000 miles. I'm wondering if I should get this done, knowing that I may have to pay at least $1595 (I have already put in 1200 for multiple other issues recently), get this done, trade it in and get another car, or leave it alone, trade it in and get another car.

thanks for any immediate help.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:05 AM

Welcome in,sorry for your problem,I would get it repaired,considering the cost of a new /used car to replace it. Make sure you get a warranty for the work and let Honda do it.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Default advice on a "sick" 2005 accord

thanks for your help. It turns out that the 4th cylinder is also warped and will need to be machined. I told them to look at the timing chain, which was a little bent and, as a result, they replaced that (I guess this is a little victory) as this would have needed to be done in 20k miles anyway.

what should I expect the warranty to cost?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 AM

I 'm talking warranty on their repairs,won't cost anything.