Prelude Forum This sporty coupe was popular with anyone who wanted a sporty, economical ride.

my prelude is sick

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Default my prelude is sick

hey guys, I need some help.
I have an '86 prelude (vintage, woo) and it's been having some problems.
symptoms:
-white smoke coming from under the hood daily
-occasionally has a stutter in first and second gear where it lurches forward and then won't accelerate
-idles at 2k rpm, sometimes higher
-when in neutral, it will sometimes rev on its own from 1k rpm to 2k back to 1k then back to 2k constantly for about 30 seconds
-today in neutral the rpm went straight to zero and the car died, just made a clicking noise when I tried to start it back up. I gave it a minute or two to think before I tried starting it up again, which it did no problem.

I know it's really old and everyone will just say to trash it, but I need it for at least another 4 months, so any help, advice, or suggestions you fellas could give would be appreciated.

thanks guys!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: my prelude is sick

welcome to the forum. Smoke from under the hood- oil dripping on to the exhaust. check valve cover for leaks, or exhaust system for oil dripping onto the pipe/manifold. stuttter in gear if standard shift, oil on the clutch plate. idles at 2k fast idle valve leaking air, or idle air control valve dirty or going bad. Start die and restart, distributor ignitor ( coil ) or main relay. Old car just needs a bit of tlc,

Old 10-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Default RE: my prelude is sick

Replace your T.P.S. for the idel going up and down