Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Serious Help Mates

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 05:47 AM
Default Need Serious Help Mates

Got a 1994 Honda Inspire CC2 2500cc In-line 5

Changed the engine 6 months back. Bought a 22000 km re-con engine. Everything was ok till now. I had this problem with the old engine where i have to start 3/4 times and the throttle response at the beginning was really bad. When i press the throttle after start or anytime it seems to jerk at lower rpm and then become normal. Same thing started again. The check light or maintenance light isn't on, so i guess the engine is ok.

Between i don't have a catalytic converter its dead so i put a straight pipe and not a proper exhaust box. I will change those in few days. Can that be the problem? The throttle is sluggish and when i climb up the car gives a weird jerk/knock. I also have problem with the power steering box which i will change soon. There is a slight wobbling on the wheels.

I'm not sure changing the exhaust and steering box will fix the problem of my cold start or not.

Already spent a lot and feel like crying now. Still dont get the best performance out of the car mates. HELP!!!!

Old 10-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need Serious Help Mates

welcome to the fourm, the exhaust system is not the cause of the cold engine to surge, check your idle air control valve, also check the fuel injection system. your wobble can be tire out of balance or brake rotor warp, or front out of balance, last thing to check would be the bushings on the steering system. Are you from Australia or New Zeland ??

Old 10-20-2008, 08:32 AM

I’m from Bangladesh it’s beside India, although I completed my graduation from Australia. Where are you from? Over here everyone drives a Toyota (esp. corolla). It’s hard to find a good Honda mechanic at this part of the world. I love Honda, I had a Integra Type-R back in Aussie it was a great car to drive, so is this Inspire but it’s costing me a lot.

Well my steering fluid is leaking and I need to open it to check where the leak is from and I think that’s the reason my steering and front it wobbling. Will change the hanger bush and check the bearings if those needs to be changed. But mostly I’m worried about my engine as its new and cost me a lot. Wonder if the sluggish and cold start surging behavior will damage my engine. I even drive it slow and don’t push it. Can anyone tell if this will damage my engine? This part of the world is really hot so morning start shouldn’t be a problem I think. It would be really helpful if you guys can suggest something.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 AM

Also another thing. Sometime when i break after doing 70/80 kmph the tachometer falls from 700 to 400 rpm and engine knocks and bit and come to normal. Between whats the ideal rpm for 2500cc car without Air Con and with Air Con.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:36 PM

Sounds like you have an air/fuel mixture problem, rpms may drop if your engine richens up suddenly. I think 800 rpm is an ideal idle point.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

I'm from Honolulu Hi. Now in Palmdale Ca. Lots of all kinds of cars here.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:08 AM

Ok most of the issues are fixed. The only thing remaining is sometimes when i hit the throttle hard the engine starts jerking. I take my peddle of the gas and hit again and it becomes normal. My mechinic said it maybe cos of some faulty wiring. Is that possible? Or is my engine lagging air? Cos i checked my injectors its fine and also the plugs.

Between i think i have some dynamo issue. My dash lights and headlights rise when i hit gas. Bought a Denso dynamo will replace it this week. Can that be the problem?

Old 05-23-2014, 09:25 AM

The normal idle for an accord is 750 rpm on a steady idle.