General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Used Civic buying advice, which involves semi-serious repairs

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Default Used Civic buying advice, which involves semi-serious repairs

Hi there. I was about to buy a 1995 Honda Civic DX, manual transmission with 156k miles on it, but unfortunately found out about some obscure, but serious mechanical problems:
- an oil leak behind timing cover, because of which the mechanic said he would have to replace the water pump, timing belt, and bearing
- leak from the oil pan, so the oil pan would have to be replaced
- rear brake drums are warped
- front brakes are warped

The timing cover issue seems to be the biggest problem, and that runs in the range of $500 or so from what I heard the mechanic say.

I was wondering, with this said, is it worth making at least the timing cover repair and buying this kind of car that is in otherwise good condition, especially if I were to take a cross-country road trip later in the summer? Or should I keep on looking around? I'm just looking for perspective, to see if there might be other major repairs to be done like this down the road, whether it's an investment buying at this age. Thanks very much.

-Jon

Old 05-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Used Civic buying advice, which involves semi-serious repairs

welcome to the forum jonsaysthat: hope this info can help you out. the 95 civic dx 5 spd is the least cost of the honda cars. kkb.com states with am/fm radio and tilt wheel, trade in value is 1300 fair, 1850 good, 2200 excellent ( car lot ready to sell ) the leaks and brakes is previous owner lack of maintenance.
If the previous owner changed the timing belt, the crank and cam seal should have been changed ( oil leaks at times if not changed) and also the water pump since the area is already being worked on. the oil pangasket changeis a general maintenance repair item and takes a couple of hours to change if all goes well. the brakes front and back I just did my 02 civic and it costs 120.00 in parts from autozone. (least cost ) front brake pads and 2 rotors and back brake linings and 2 drums. took about 3 hrs to change myself. If you can get the car for fair trade in value 1300 or lot less, it might be worth it to purchase. if the owner fixes all the mechanical items, it will be worth good condition if the outside is good. 1850.Note: timing belt should be changed 90k or conditions or 72 months( Honda recommended )