Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

New to Site....having serious problems with my 94 Accord...Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Unhappy New to Site....having serious problems with my 94 Accord...Please Help!

Ok so I have a 94 Accord with just over 162K miles, and I am having serious problems with it not starting. Long story, but I'll make it as short and as thorough as possible...

About 2 years ago it started having issues not starting...I would go out, turn the key and it would turn over endlessly but never start. Eventually, after trying and trying for what seemed like an eternity it would start. And it seemed to happen more frequently after a big rain and/or days when the humidity was high. In November 2008, I took it to a mechanic who specializes in Hondas and Acuras. First he replaced the starter (with a factory Honda starter)...no change. Then he replaced the main relay...no change. He kept it for about 2 months, into 2009, but during that whole time he said he couldn't get it to "not start"...just my luck. Then suddenly around March 2009, it quit doing it...during most of 2009 it never happened...started every time.

Then suddenly back around May 2010 it started happening again. Had the distributor and O2 sensor replaced, no change. Again, it seemed to happen more often after a big rain and/or days with high humidity. I theorize that somehow water/moisture is getting into the fuel line. Then I started to notice a pattern: I started hearing a very faint but noticable "click" sound which seemed to come from somewhere inside the steering wheel/dashboard whenever I put the key in but didnt start it, just turned the electronics on. But it was never consistant. Some days I would go out, try to crank it, and it would turn over endlessly but not actually start...so I'd sit for a minute or two, take the key out, put it back in, etc etc, until I heard that "click"....after that, it would start, EVERY time. Sometimes it would "click" immediately after I put the key in, sometimes it would take 10 minutes. But it ALWAYS started every single time after I heard the "click".

I called the mechanic back, and he instantly recognized the "Click" as the main relay...and since it's been less than two years since he last replaced the main relay, he warrantied it out and replaced the one put in in 2008. That was two days ago. It now has a second main relay. I went to get the key today, and went to start it, and it happened again. Turned over repeatedly but did not start. I took the key out and put it back in a few times, then after about 4 minutes I heard the "click" again, and it started! Just like clockwork! So finally this evening, after I got off work, I had someone drive me over to finally pick it up, and I sat there for over 10 minutes trying to get it to start, with NO luck. It is STILL sitting at the garage.

I am at my wits' end with this. It's a Honda with between 162K and 163K miles, which is just getting broke-in. Since 2008, I have had 2 batteries replaced, new started, TWO main relays, distributor, O2 sensor, and an alternator (not in that particular order albeit). When I asked the mechanic about it earlier today, he suggested the fuel pump could be weak, and he also informed me that fuel pumps are ridiculously expensive.

I am clueless at this point....ANY and ALL advice is more than welcome....Please Help!!

Old 08-26-2010, 05:06 PM

that noise you are hearing is the fuel pump activatiing and stopping to create the proper pressure in the fuel lines. if you are not hearing the click with a limited budget. check wires because that is the easiest thing to do. as i tell everyone to do. check for bent metal linings in the fuel system and deteriorated rubber lines. check fuel pump, regulator, and the fuel filter. I hope this helps you... if that happens again at a garage. good advice: if they can't locate the problem have someone else do it.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by jaydawg30
that noise you are hearing is the fuel pump activatiing and stopping to create the proper pressure in the fuel lines. if you are not hearing the click with a limited budget. check wires because that is the easiest thing to do. as i tell everyone to do. check for bent metal linings in the fuel system and deteriorated rubber lines. check fuel pump, regulator, and the fuel filter. I hope this helps you... if that happens again at a garage. good advice: if they can't locate the problem have someone else do it.
Now I see what is that noise that my friend is hearing from his car. Maybe I'll have him brought his car to a near mechanic to double check the parts and wiring you mentioned. Thanks for this help.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:31 AM

My first thought was the dis.cap but you replaced that,I would next look at the fuel system as jaydawg said,there must be a leak down somewhere or possible short to the fuel pump.I know my fuel pump will sometime come on an hour or more after I shut it off to keep fuel pressure up.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:14 PM

i had a problem with my car doing the same thing , i have a 1994 accord dx what is was is my transmission computer went out, it was flashing D4 and wouldnt start until i reset the computer by taking out the main relay and waiting a little while and putting it back in again, and it only does it every once in a while but it can be a real pain when you have to wait 30 minutes to start your car

Old 09-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

check out your ignition switch.