Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

Oil Light

Old 11-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Default Oil Light

Here is my issue,

Car
1997 honda accord Special Edition F22B2 engine automatic

At first-
when the problem first occured you could pull up on a stop light and the oil light would flicker on, then when you take off it would go out, there was no noticeable valve chatter or anything, then it got to where the light would come on going down the interstate at 70 and flash repeatedly.

I went to autozone on saturday morning and picked up a new oil switch, removed filter and replaced switch, installed new oil filter, test drove vehicle, oil light illuminated on bulb check and never came on untill about 6:00 pm on sunday night the light came on and will not shut off, the oil light flickers off and then instantly back on when the car is shut off, the oil problem started after changing the oil i Changed the oil and reinstalled 5W-30 as per the cap. I am out of clues and need some assitance the car seems to be getting sufficient oil pressure with only light valve chatter, the vehicle has 195,000 miles on it.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:59 AM

Welcome to the forum,and you have the reccomended level of oil I'm sure,sounds like if the oil pressure is ok then it has to be sensor going bad.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:18 AM

If you have access to a oil pressure gauge (only about 40 dollars from a parts store) I would hook one up to the car should be able to use the port that the oil pressure sender goes into. Then run the car up to temp and see what your actually oil pressure is. Hate to burn up and engine thinking its the sensor when it is really low pressure from a failing pump. If you have oil pressure with the gauge check for any shorts in the wiring to switch also check to make sure it didnt get clogged with some debri since you said you just replaced the switch. Good luck with it but i really recomend puting a guage on it to make sure you are getting pressure you might need a oil pump. or have a clogged/clogging pick up tube in the oil pan.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:14 PM

okay i went and got another switch on saturday and then had a buddy at work replace it, he started the car up the light was off, he let it run the light stayed off, drove the car home and turned it over to the girlfriend as my car has been totaled friday afternoon, she drove it to work this morning sunday morning and said that the light is flickering, UGH, i know i have a crap switch or a bad wire or something because i can put a new switch in it and it works fine and then stops.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:37 PM

you say light chatter. the only true test of oil presure would be to install a mechanical gauge to test the presure. does the vehicle run rough at idle? If so this could be tune up issues or injector problems. either of those will cause low idle and other than that the new switch could be bad.