Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Belt Problem - need help please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Default Seat Belt Problem - need help please.

Hi all,
My 94 Honda Wagon EX driver's side seat belt lock decided to stop working. I would push the buckle in the slot but it wouldn't lock down and hold. Since my luck is such that I would probably be pulled over by the first cop I pass for failure to wear my seatbelt, I tried to fix it myself tonight. Though I got the plastic covers off and fixed the mechanism, I failed to get the cover back on before the mechanism shifted and a spring came loose and another plastic part came out in my hand.[]

So, my question is, can anyone give me advice that would point me in the direction of how to fix it or to a manual or a website or someplace I can find out how it goes back together? If not, can I get advice as to how to replace the lock part side of the seat belt system - the side up against the console of the car. At the bottem, it almost looks like it is part of my seat! Hope not.

Thanks in advance for any advice!![/align][/align]Janet B.[/align]'94 Accord EX Wagon, 4 Speed Automatic
Cashmere Silver Metallic/Ivory Interior [/align]

Old 03-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Seat Belt Problem - need help please.

Aloha welcome to the forum. If you go to autozone.com, register for free and enter your vehicle info, go to repair, interior, and seat belt, there should be pic's and instructions to remove and replace the inner (short part) seat belt. It does have a wire for the seat belt light, and the seat needs to be removed to get access to the bolt that anchors the short belt. once the belt starts to go hay wire, it is best to change it.
If you go to a salvage yard, you can practice on a car there and tear that one up getting your part. Then do a good job on your car.
Also suggest you get a dealer repair manual, this will show you just about anything you need to fix your wagon. This car is worth a lot and will last you a long time. in ebay.com you may find a hard copy to purchase.( or CD )

Old 03-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Default RE: Seat Belt Problem - need help please.

Thanks for all the good information. I did go on Ebay.com but am unsure what search perimeters to input to bring up that dealer repair manual.I didn't come across anything whether hard copy or CD. Could you advise me further please as to what the best way to search for it would be?I agree it would bea great ideato have such a manual. Years ago I had a 1966 Mustang in cherry condition. Had the manual for it and worked on that car for 16 years till some dink totaled it on me while it was parked in my friend's front yard (not even in the road mind you!!) I love my Honda Station Wagon though am rather upset about this seat belt business.[&:] Getting to be too old to take things apart at the salvage yards! LOL []

You or anyone know of any good people in the Orlando Florida area who work on Hondas?

Thanks again.

Janet B.
[/align]'94 Accord EX Wagon, 4 Speed Automatic
Cashmere Silver Metallic/Ivory Interior

Old 04-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Default RE: Seat Belt Problem - solved - thanks!

Hello all.
Just thought I would provide a little update. I had the chance to take that seat belt buckle parts and give it a good looking at. I sat andplayed with it like it was a puzzle figuring I had nothing left to lose, having already messed it up. [8D] Well,dang if I didn't fix it or at least get it so it works okay enough to reinstall.It apparently had a spring break, but luckily without the spring I only have to push in the red latch when pushing in the belt the same way I have to push in the red latch when releasing the belt. Still if I ever decide to replace that side it will cost about $75. for the part and $25. per the labor per the Honda dealer's body shop. In the meantime, I think I would be able to get the whole part at the salvage yard for $25 and just replace the "innards" myself without having to remove the seat to get to the belt bolt. Yeah!

Thanks for all the advice ....I always learn something from you all and I appreciate it!!

Old 04-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Seat Belt Problem - solved - thanks!

Thank you for the feed back. Aloha